- PhD, Economics, University of Massachusetts, Amherst; BS, Political Science, University of Wisconsin-Madison
Professor and Department Chair Meurs has recently taught Comparative Systems, Heterodox Microeconomics, Transition Economies, the Economics of Gender, and Political Economy.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Recent publications and research examine market development and social outcomes in the transition economies of Eastern Europe and the former Soviet Union. Field research has been supported by grants from the MacArthur Foundation, National Council for Soviet and East European Research, National Research Council, and the National Science Foundation for work in Hungary, Bulgaria, Romania,
- Member; Executive Board & Finance Committee, National Council for European + East European Research
- Member; Editorial Board, Politics + Society
- Recent courses taught include Comparative Systems, Heterodox Microeconomics, Transition Economies, the Economics of Gender, and the Doctoral Dissertation Seminar
- "Use of Maternal Health Care in Tajikistan: A Bargaining Framework," Feminist Economics, with Lisa Giddings, July 2012.
- "Goverance and Behavior in Non-Profits: Analysis of Uruguayan Health Care Organizations,". Advances in the Economic Analysis of Participatory and Labor-Managed Firms 12:267-292, 2011, with Juan Barrios.
- "The Decline in Intergenerational Mobility in Post-Socialism: Evidence from the Bulgarian Case", World Development 2009, with Thomas Hertz and Sibel Selcuk.
- Decentralisation and Development in Post-Socialism: Local Characteristics and Outcomes in Post-Socialist Bulgaria," Post-Communist Economics, 2007.
- "Market Reform and Infrastructure Development in Transition Economies,” Review of Development Economics, OnlineEarly, August 2007, with Robert M. Feinberg.
- ‘‘Changing Preschool Enrollments in Post-Socialist Central Asia: Causes and Implications,’’ with Lisa Giddings and Tilahun Temesgen, forthcoming in Comparative Economic Studies, 2006.
- ‘‘Declining Child Care Enrollments in Post Socialism: Causes and Implications in the Bulgarian Case,’’ European Journal of Social Policy, with Lisa Giddings, 16(2) 2006.