"Flora Tristan's Grandson: Revisiting the Feminist Critique of Paul Gauguin," in Gauguin's Challenge: New Perspectives after Postmodernism, ed. Norma Broude. New York: Bloomsbury Academic, 2018.
"Revisiting Degas: A Meditation on Women, Horses, and Nature," in Perspectives on Degas, ed. Kathryn Brown. London: Routledge, 2016.
Introducing Feminist Art History, with Mary D. Garrard. Amazon Kindle e-book, 2014
"G.B. Tiepolo at Villa Valmarana: Gender Ideology in a Patrician Villa of the Settecento," The Art Bulletin, XCI(June 2009)
- Reclaiming Female Agency: Feminist Art History After Postmodernism. Co-edited with Mary D. Garrard. University of California Press, 2005.
- Gustave Caillebotte and the Fashioning of Identity in Impressionist Paris. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press, 2002.
- Edgar Degas. New York: Rizzoli International Publications (The Rizzoli Art Series), 1993.
- Georges Seurat. New York: Rizzoli International Publications (The Rizzoli Art Series), 1992.
- Impressionism, A Feminist Reading: The Gendering of Art, Science, and Nature in the Nineteenth Century. New York: Rizzoli International Publications, 1991 and New York: HarperCollins, 1997.
- The Power of Feminist Art: The American Movement of the 1970s, History and Impact. Co-edited with Mary D. Garrard. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1994.and 1996.
- World Impressionism: The International Movement 1860-1920, editor. New York: Harry N. Abrams, Inc., 1990;with simultaneous editions in French (Paris: Nathan), German (Cologne: DuMont), and Italian (Milan: Edizioni Leonardo). New York: Harry N. Abrams, Abradale Press Edition, 1994.
- The Macchiaioli: Italian Painters of the Nineteenth Century. New Haven and London: Yale University Press, 1987.
- The Expanding Discourse: Feminism and Art History. Co-edited with Mary D. Garrard. New York: HarperCollins,1992.
- Feminism and Art History: Questioning the Litany. Co-edited with Mary D. Garrard. New York: Harper and Row, 1982.