- BA, 1999, Music, AU
PhD, 1983, Psychology, Rice University
MA, 1980, Psychology, Princeton University
BA, 1979, Psychology, Stanford University
- Languages Spoken
- Turkish, English, some German, and a little bit of French.
Zehra Peynirciolu received her undergraduate degree in psychology from Stanford. She started graduate studies in cognitive psychology, specializing in memory, at Princeton (and received an MA) and followed her advisor to Rice and received her PhD. there. She was then an assistant professor at Bogazici University in Istanbul, Turkey, and then a post-doc at the University of Chicago, before coming to American. Finally, she received an undergraduate degree from American in music while a faculty member in the psychology department. Her current research interests include music perception/cognition, face and voice recognition, metamemory, and curious memory and cognitive phenomena of all sorts.
Eastern Psychological Association
- Hosey, L.A., Peynircioglu, Z.F., & Rabinovitz, B.E. (in press). Feeling of knowing for names in response to faces. Acta Psychologica
- Peynircioglu, Z.F., Rabinovitz, B.E., & Thompson, J.L.W. (2008). Memory and metamemory for songs: the relative effectiveness of titles, lyrics, and melodies as cues for each other. Psychology of Music, 36, 47-61.
- Tekcan, A., & Peynircioglu, Z.F. (2002). Effects of age on flashbulb memories. Psychology and Aging, 17, 416-422.
- Peynircioglu, Z.F., & Durgunoglu, A.Y. (2002). Code Switching in Bilingual Preschool Children. In R.R.Heredia & J. Altarriba (Eds.), Bilingual Sentence Processing, 339-358. North-Holland/Elselvierscience BV: The Netherlands
- Peynircioglu, Z.F., & Mungan, E. (1993). Familiarity, relative distinctiveness, and the generation effect. Memory & Cognition, 21, 367-374
- Peynircioglu, Z.F. (1990). Feeling-of-recognition without identification. Journal of Memory and Language, 29, 493-500.
- Watkins, M.J., & Peynircioglu, Z.F. (1990). The revelation effect: When disguising test items induces recognition. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 16, 1012-1020.
- Peynircioglu, Z.F. (1987). On the generality of part-set cuing: Evidence from nonverbal tasks. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 13, 437-442.
- Peynircioglu, Z.F., & Watkins, M.J. (1986). Cue depreciation: When word fragment completion is undermined by prior exposure to lesser fragments. Journal of Experimental Psychology: Learning, Memory, and Cognition, 12, 426-431.
- Watkins, M.J., & Peynircioglu, Z.F. (1982). A perspective on rehearsal. In G. Bower (Ed.), The Psychology of Learning and Motivation, Vol. 16, 153-190.
Work In Progress
- On bilingual cognition
- On metamemory
- On interesting effects in memory & cognition
- Peynircioğlu Z.F., Rabinovitz, B.E., Flores, I. Ifigenia, & Qureshi, U. (July, 2007). The Influence of Familiarity on FOK for Titles and Melodies of Music with and without Lyrics. Joint meeting of the Experimental Psychological Society and Psychonomic Society, Edinburgh, Scotland.
- Young, K.D., & Peynircioğlu, Z.F. (November, 2006). The Revelation Effect in Metamemory. Psychonomic Society, Houston.
- Rabinovitz, B.E., & Peynircioğlu, Z.F. (November, 2006). Effects of Temporal Manipulations on Identification of Familiar Melodies. Psychonomic Society, Houston.
- Ali, S.O., & Peynircioğlu, Z.F. (November, 2005). The Relationship Between Emotions Conveyed by Music and Emotions Elicited by Music. Psychonomic Society, Toronto, Canada.