The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) reflect American University’s current policies and resources. This page is designed to provide the AU community with up-to-date answers to help you navigate the university’s response to the evolving COVID-19 situation.
Don’t find your question here? If you have a question which is not answered below, please suggest a new question and we’ll do our best to update this page with the appropriate information.
Suggest a Question
- Will any classes have an in-person component?
- How will fall online instruction be different from spring?
- Will courses follow the modalities (e.g., live/synchronous, asynchronous, etc.) that were announced in July?
- Is there any change to the calendar for the fall semester?
- Are health and safety protocols still in place on campus?
- I already purchased my plane ticket to come back to campus. Will AU reimburse me?
- Will AU still offer COVID-19 testing?
- How does the fall decision affect international students?
- Where can I get more information on COVID-19?
- What is the plan for spring 2021?
- How will COVID-19 affect implementation, organization, and the filing of Title IX complaints?
- Will there be any gatherings or events on campus?
- What is the status of the special in-person ceremonies for May 2020 graduates?
- What are the details of the Fall 2020 Commencement Celebration?
Health and Safety
- Will everyone be required to wear a face covering while on campus?
- What is the policy on physical distancing while on campus?
- What is the university’s testing capacity? How frequently will students/community members be tested?
- How do I report a positive COVID-19 test or other information regarding my health status?
- How will policies on face coverings and physical distancing be enforced? Will there be consequences for students/staff/faculty who do not follow the protocol?
- How is the university ensuring that contract employees follow the same health and safety precautions and requirements?
- What will wellness services look like – physical as well as mental health?
- Will students be able to get COVID tests at the Student Health Center?
- Will the university provide COVID-19 testing for faculty and staff?
- Do students still need to apply for an insurance waiver if they won’t be in D.C.?
- Can off-campus students quarantine on campus?
- Will the university be providing PPE to all students, or will students be expected to provide their own?
- Will hand sanitizing stations be placed throughout campus?
- How will I access my classes online?
- Could I start out part-time?
- I recently graduated with my bachelor’s degree. Could I begin a master’s program this fall?
- Will there be trainings or workshops to prepare for online learning?
- Why can’t online sections have unlimited seats?
- What if I’m in another time zone? Will I be beholden to the assigned time of my course?
- How can I meet with my academic advisor in the fall 2020 semester?
- What if I have a question about my fall 2020 course?
- Will there be changes to the Academic Calendar in terms of add/drop or refund deadlines?
- Will pass/fail grading options be available similar to the spring semester? Will dates change for add/drop or withdrawals?
- What are the strategies for transitioning to full or partial online learning?
- What remote support services are available?
- Where can I access books, reading materials, etc.?
- What accommodations are available for online classes?
- When do I have to make a decision for a temporary leave by?
- What is the university doing to provide technological support for students?
- What can I do if I can’t connect to Zoom, Canvas, Blackboard or other platforms during class time?
- What technical requirements are necessary to engage in online coursework?
- What are the key security issues I need to consider when using Zoom?
Campus Facilities and Services
- With no activities on campus, how will AU build community?
- How can I learn more about my career options, student jobs and internships?
- Where can I find more Athletics and Recreation information?
Housing and Residence Life
- Will any students live on campus?
- If I previously registered for on-campus housing but no longer want to live on campus, can I get a full refund?
- How will emergency housing requests be processed?
- Will those in emergency housing have access to campus services such as dining, the health center, etc.?
- When will housing and dining refunds be processed?
- If I am unable to live on campus, will AU assist students with off-campus housing?
- What will on-campus housing for spring 2021 look like?
- How is the university handling mail and packages?
- I have more questions about residence life and housing. Where can I get more information?
- I had already enrolled in a meal plan. Will I get a refund?
- What dining services will be available on campus for students living in emergency housing?
- What happens with my meal plan or Eaglebucks since there is no meal plan option?
- When will I see the refund on my student account for the meal plan?
Campus Facilities, Operations, and Services
- What services will be available on campus?
- Will I have access to buildings on campus?
- Where can I get more information about library operations?
- What if I’ve already placed an order for in-store pickup at the campus store?
- Will I still be able to order from the campus store website at shopAmericanU.com?
- Is the shuttle operating on a normal schedule?
- What parking restrictions are in effect on and off campus?
- Will the U∙PASS Program be available this fall?
- If my office is located in a building with limited access and/or temperature adjustments and I need to conduct my class from there, can I do so?
- Do I need permission to be on campus? Who do I get it from if I am a faculty member?
- Is my ID card is automatically activated for all buildings?
- Are any buildings available as study spaces for students? Do I need to make reservations?
- If I complete the faculty form for on-campus activity, do I have to wait for approval will before I can use my office?
- Is tuition discounted?
- What fees will be charged or waived?
- Will financial aid be affected?
- Will my undergraduate financial aid change because the university has canceled its residential component for the fall 2020 semester?
- Will the 10 percent tuition discount or changes in fees impact my financial aid package?
- Will my financial aid be impacted if I don’t return this fall for family or personal reasons but plan to return in the spring?
- What’s the best way to find out about the status of my financial aid?
- How can I find information about graduate financial aid?
- When will housing and dining refunds be processed?
- What is the status of my Federal Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund (HEERF) application?
- I am currently using VA education benefits. How will AU’s plan for the fall semester impact my VA education benefits eligibility?
Travel and Study Abroad
- What is AU’s current policy on student/faculty/staff travel?
- Are there COVID-19 related reentry restrictions to the U.S.?
- What is the university doing about study abroad programs for fall 2020?
- What happens if a student committed to a program that is now canceled?
- I am not able to study abroad in a future semester. Can I still take classes through an AU Center program this fall 2020?
- The partner university I was planning to attend overseas is offering online classes. Can I enroll in those courses and get credit at AU?
- Can I take a leave of absence to attend online classes via my partner university overseas?
- How is AU making the decision to maintain or suspend programs?
- I was planning to study abroad in fall 2020. What happens to my $500 confirmation deposit?
- Can I defer my study abroad to spring 2021?
- I received an AU Abroad grant for fall 2020 and now I am deferring to spring 2021. Can I defer the grant as well?
- I was planning to study abroad with an approved program provider. What do I need to do to withdraw my application or defer to another semester?
- Will I be able to study abroad in Spring 2021?
Faculty and Staff
- Will faculty and staff be required to come to campus at all?
- Does the suspension of university-sponsored international travel apply to all research trips?
- Where do faculty/staff go for more information on telework, benefits, leave, and other issues regarding expanded telework during COVID-19?
- What support is available for conducting classes online?
- What should I do for students who cannot participate online?
- Should I continue to have office hours?
- Are faculty expected to come to campus to teach their online courses?
- What additional support is available to faculty and staff?
- Does AU have a research continuity plan?
- With a variety of schedules for faculty and staff, how will parking be handled?
- Can staff and faculty take their AU-owned IT equipment home to aid productivity during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- How can faculty and staff find out more information about how AU is approaching the fall semester?