The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) reflect American University’s current policies and resources. This page is designed to provide the AU community with up-to-date answers to help you navigate the university’s response to the evolving COVID-19 situation.
Don’t find your question here? If you have a question which is not answered below, please suggest a new question and we’ll do our best to update this page with the appropriate information.
Suggest a Question
- When can I take the furlough?
- What is the impact on my paycheck?
- How will the university/departments/managers keep key functions operating?
- What happens if I have to work during the furlough?
- Will there be another furlough?
- What are tuition levels for fall 2021?
- Why is the 10 percent discount no longer being offered?
- Will this decision impact financial aid?
- Will student fees continue to be discounted?
- What will meal plan costs be for fall 2021?
- Will the FY 2022 budget continue the hiring freeze, suspension of university retirement contributions, and other cost saving measures?
- Will services be reduced or impacted by the FY 2022 budget?
- Will the resumption of the merit process cover the last two years?
- Will the hiring freeze end in July?
- If enrollment levels are below budget, does that mean merit and retirement contributions will not resume?
- Will faculty and staff have the opportunity to provide input into fall plans?
- What course modalities are available during the spring (e.g. live/synchronous, asynchronous, etc.)? What classes will have an in-person component?
- If my class is offered in person, can I still participate online?
- Are online options in the spring available for students who are currently outside D.C.?
- How does the spring decision affect international students?
- Has AU changed the health and safety protocols for the spring semester?
- Will there be any events allowed on campus?
- What is the status of spring 2021 commencement?
- Where can I get more information on COVID-19?
- How will COVID-19 affect implementation, organization, and the filing of Title IX complaints?
- Has AU made decisions about the summer?
Health and Safety
- Will everyone be required to wear a face covering while on campus?
- What is the policy on physical distancing while on campus?
- Are health acknowledgment forms mandatory?
- Are there self-screening and self-reporting requirements?
- Are there any travel advisories or quarantine requirements in D.C.? What is the policy on notifying the university of personal travel?
- Can off-campus students quarantine on campus?
- Will hand sanitizing stations be placed throughout campus?
How To Test
- How often should I test?
- What type of test is AU providing?
- Is there a charge for this test?
- Where do I go to be tested?
- Can I make an appointment?
- How should I prepare?
- I’ve been vaccinated for COVID-19. Do I still need to test?
- Will AU administer COVID-19 vaccinations?
- I’m a student and am concerned I may have symptoms of COVID-19. What do I do?
- I’m a staff or faculty member and am concerned I may have symptoms of COVID-19. What do I do?
If You Test Positive
- What happens if I test positive for Covid-19?
- I’m a student in the Washington, DC region. What happens if I test positive, but not through AU-provided testing?
- What is the difference between quarantine and isolation?
- I’m a student not in the Washington, DC region. What happens if I test positive or am exposed? Do I need to report it? What supports are available?
If You Are Exposed
- If I’ve been exposed at AU, how will I find out?
- What if I’m exposed, but not notified through AU?
- I live on campus. If I’m exposed, what happens next?
- I’m an off-campus student, faculty or staff member. If I’m exposed, what happens next?
- Can a student who has been exposed be tested on campus for active COVID infection?
- Can I attend in-person class and am exposed?
- Can a faculty or staff member who has been exposed be tested on campus for active COVID infection?
AU’s Shield T3 Testing and Partnership
- What is Shield T3 testing?
- Why is AU changing to Shield T3 testing?
- Will there be changes to the testing process for AU community members?
- Will I need to download the new app to take part in testing?
- Does Shield T3 test for the variants of COVID-19?
- Why is AU funding the mobile laboratory for other universities?
- Will this change create a new cost for students, faculty, or staff when they get tested on campus?
- Do I still have to do the daily health screening form if I am coming to campus?
- Will there be pass/fail grading options for classes?
- Why do I have to wait until after the semester (or term) is over to select the pass/fail option?
- What are the pass/fail grading options during spring 2021 for undergraduate students?
- What is the Course Repetition and Grade Replacement Policy?
- How do the P/F options and the Course Repetition and Grade replacement policy work together?
- What are the pass/fail grading options during spring 2021 for graduate students?
- Can I convert a course a course to pass/fail that will double count for my combined bachelor’s/master’s degree?
- Can I convert a course to pass/fail if I am on probation?
- Is temporary leave available to students for the spring semester?
- How can I meet with my academic advisor in the spring 2021 semester?
- What if I have a question about my spring course?
- Will there be changes to the Academic Calendar in terms of add/drop or refund deadlines?
- What remote support services are available?
- Where can I access books, reading materials, etc.?
- What accommodations are available for online classes?
- What is the university doing to provide technological support for students?
- What can I do if I can’t connect to Zoom, Canvas, Blackboard or other platforms during class time?
- What technical requirements are necessary to engage in online coursework?
- What are the key security issues I need to consider when using Zoom?
Campus Facilities and Services
- With no activities on campus, how will AU build community?
- How can I learn more about my career options, student jobs and internships?
- Where can I find more Athletics and Recreation information?
Housing and Residence Life
- Will any students live on campus?
- How do I apply for spring 2021 emergency housing?
- Can students residing off-campus utilize on-campus isolation housing?
- How will mail and packages for students be handled?
Campus Facilities, Operations, and Services
- What services will be available on campus?
- Will I have access to buildings on campus?
- Will visitors be allowed on campus?
- Will the fitness centers be open for use?
- With a variety of schedules for faculty and staff, how will parking be handled?
- Will there be a discounted parking rate for commuters during the spring semester?
- Is the campus store open and can I order from the website at shopAmericanU.com?
- What is the Rental Check-In deadline at the Campus Store?
- If my office is located in a building with limited access and/or temperature adjustments and I need to conduct my class from there, can I do so?
- Do I need permission to be on campus? Who do I get it from if I am a faculty member?
- Is my ID card is automatically activated for all buildings?
- Are any buildings available as study spaces for students? Do I need to make reservations?
- If I complete the faculty form for on-campus activity, do I have to wait for approval will before I can use my office?
- Is tuition discounted?
- What fees will be charged or waived?
- I am currently using VA education benefits. How will AU’s plan for the spring semester impact my VA education benefits eligibility?
Financial Aid Office
- Will financial aid be affected?
- Will my undergraduate financial aid change because I am not in AU residential housing?
- Will my undergraduate financial aid change if I decide to participate in the Spring 2021 Mid-Semester Residential Experience?
- Will the 10 percent tuition discount or changes in fees impact my financial aid package?
- Will my financial aid be impacted if I do not return this spring for family or personal reasons but plan to return in fall 2021?
- What is the best way to find out about the status of my financial aid?
- How can I find information about graduate financial aid?
- Will CARES Act funding be available in spring 2021?
Travel and Study Abroad
- What is AU’s current policy on student/faculty/staff travel?
- I am a faculty member or graduate student who needs to travel to conduct research, what should I do?
- Are there COVID-19 related reentry restrictions to the U.S.?
- What is the university doing about study abroad programs?
- What criteria does AU use to determine when it is safe to resume international travel associated with its programming?
- What does it mean when a program is suspended?
- Do I get my money back now that my program is suspended?
- I’m not able to study abroad in a future semester. Can I still take courses through an AU Centers program in Summer 2021?
- Can I take a leave of absence to participate in a program independently from AU?
- Can I still apply for a Permit to Study Abroad on a non-AU program this Summer?
Faculty and Staff
- Will faculty and staff be required to come to campus at all?
- Does the suspension of university-sponsored international travel apply to all research trips?
- Where do faculty/staff go for more information on telework, benefits, leave, and other issues regarding expanded telework during COVID-19?
- What support is available for conducting classes online?
- What should faculty do for students who cannot participate online?
- Should faculty continue to have office hours?
- Are faculty expected to come to campus to teach their online courses?
- What additional support is available to faculty and staff?
- Does AU have a research continuity plan?
- Can staff and faculty take their AU-owned IT equipment home to aid productivity during the COVID-19 pandemic?