The following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) reflect American University’s current policies and resources. This page is designed to provide the AU community with up-to-date answers to help you navigate the university’s response to the evolving COVID-19 situation.
Don’t find your question here? If you have a question which is not answered below, please suggest a new question by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll do our best to update this page with the appropriate information.
- What are tuition levels for spring 2022?
- Why is the 10 percent discount no longer being offered?
- Will fees be charged or waived?
- What will meal plan costs be for spring 2022?
- Will there be any events allowed on campus in spring 2022?
- How does the ongoing COVID-19 response affect international students?
- What is the status of spring 2022 commencement?
- How will COVID-19 affect implementation, organization, and the filing of Title IX complaints?
- What course modalities are available during the spring (e.g. live/synchronous, asynchronous, etc.)? What classes will have an in-person component?
- What is the university doing to provide technological support for students?
- What should I do to securely use Zoom?
- Is temporary leave available to students for the spring semester?
- How can I meet with my academic advisor in the spring 2022 semester?
- What if I have a question about my spring course?
- Will there be changes to the Academic Calendar in terms of add/drop or refund deadlines?
- Will support services remain available?
- How is AU building community and where can I find more information about campus activities?
- How can I learn more about my career options, student jobs and internships?
- Where can I find more Athletics and Recreation information?
- Which buildings are open for students to attend on-line classes? Is there access to labs/performing arts, etc.?
- Is the library open for the university community and what are library hours?
- How are move-in dates adjusted for the January 2022 temporary shift to online classes?
- Where can I select my move-in date and self-check-in on the housing portal?
- How do I check in upon arrival?
- How is housing impacted for Study Abroad students?
Campus Facilities, Operations, and Service
- What dining services are available on campus?
- With a variety of schedules for faculty and staff, how will parking be handled?
- What is the status of the U∙PASS Program for the spring 2022 semester?
- How can I find information about graduate financial aid?
- Will financial aid be affected by the COVID-19 pandemic or changes to AU operations?
- Will my financial aid be impacted if I did not return in the fall for family or personal reasons but plan to return in spring 2022?
- What is the best way to find out about the status of my financial aid?
Health & Safety
- Where can I find additional information on testing and contact tracing? What about vaccination and booster requirements?
Travel and Study Abroad
- What is AU’s current policy on student/faculty/staff travel?
- Are there any travel advisories or quarantine requirements in D.C.? What is the policy on notifying the university of personal travel?
- What factors are considered in the decision to approve travel?
- I am an individual faculty member or graduate student who needs to travel to conduct research, what should I do?
- I am an individual faculty member, staff member in an academic unit (including WCL), or individual graduate student seeking approval to engage in an academic-related or business-related travel. What is required?
- I am a faculty member desiring to lead a group of students (including undergraduate students) on travel as part of an academic experience, what should I do?
- I am a staff member working for an administrative unit who needs to travel for essential university business, what should I do?
- What happens after a student, faculty, or staff traveler completes the application process?
- What is the current travel guidance recommended by the D.C. Department of Health?
- Are there COVID-19 related reentry restrictions to the US?
- Will the university cover the additional expenses associated with extending the stay of a faculty or staff member who tests positive for COVID while on official travel and requires isolation, but not hospitalization?
- What is the university doing about study abroad programs?
- What is the AU Abroad Summer and Fall study abroad timeline?
- What are American University’s study abroad refund policies?
- If I plan to study abroad in Summer or Fall 2022, should I arrange flights now or wait?
- Should I have a Fall backup plan?
- As a Fall study abroad student, is there anything else I should be doing right now?
- What is the AU Abroad COVID 19 vaccination policy?
- What criteria does AU use to determine when it is safe to resume international travel associated with its programming?
- Can I take a leave of absence to participate in a program independently from AU?
Faculty and Staff
- What should faculty members do to support students who need to miss class due to illness or quarantine requirements?
- Do faculty need to record where students are sitting in the classroom during each meeting to ensure that contact tracing can be done effectively?
- Do professors need to wear masks while teaching?
- Are faculty members able to obtain microphones to use while teaching?
- Is drinking and eating permitted in classrooms?
- Are faculty members able to use discussion groups in the classroom, or are students expected to stay as far apart from one another as the room allows?
- Are academic departments and programs allowed to host events on campus?
- Will guest speakers be allowed in classes? If so, do they need to be vaccinated?
- Can/should faculty and staff open windows in classrooms and offices to increase air flow? How should concerns about temperature be addressed?
- Will faculty be required to come to campus during the 2021-2022 academic year?
- Will staff be required to come to campus during the 2021-2022 academic year?
- What support is available for conducting classes online?
- Can faculty hold in-person office hours? Are they required to do so?
- Can a faculty member move an in-person class online due to a conference, sick family member, childcare issue?
- Can professors use their offices to teach classes?
- Can faculty continue their on-campus research throughout January 2022?
- Can staff and faculty take their AU-owned IT equipment home to aid productivity during the COVID-19 pandemic?
- Can hybrid work schedules be adapted for seasonality or during particular times in the year where classes are/are not in session?
- How will the university support the technology needs of faculty and staff members in the hybrid work environment?
- How will the university support employees' childcare needs?
- Will accommodations be made for people with compromised immune systems, disabilities, or chronic illnesses?
- What is the remote work policy for employees who have high-risk family members in the household?
- How will the university manage situations where employees cannot be vaccinated?
- What is the role of HR vs. individual units in managing a hybrid schedule?
- How do flex/compressed schedules factor into hybrid modalities?
- Will parking be prorated depending on how many days faculty and staff come to campus?
- What is AU’s dress code for faculty and staff?