You are here: American University University Directory


Please enter service related keywords and click on "Search". Searches are case insensitive.

Student Employment

As an AU student, you may pursue any number of employment opportunities.

You must complete the I-9 Employment Eligibility Verification Form, available through Human Resources or your supervisor, within three (3) days of your start date. In order to complete the form, you must present original documents that establish your identity and employment eligibility.

If you are under the age of 18, you must also obtain a District of Columbia Work Permit; contact Human Resources for more information.

Additionally, you should complete the Federal Tax Form (W-4), listing your permanent address, and the appropriate State Tax Form (D-4 for DC, MW-507 for MD, VA-4 for VA) based on your student residency to avoid being taxed at the highest bracket. Submit all paperwork through your supervisor or directly to Human Resources.

Students, who are U.S. citizens or U.S. permanent residents, complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and have demonstrated financial need, which is the difference between the cost of attendance (COA) at American University and the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) as determined by the FAFSA, are eligible.

If you met FWS eligibility requirements, the Financial Aid Office would have included a FWS award in your financial aid package.

There are two main differences. First, employers often prefer to hire students awarded Federal Work Study because 75% of FWS students' wages are covered by the U.S. Department of Education. Second, FWS earnings do not impact students. Expected Family Contribution (EFC), whereas other part-time income may affect EFC and reduce students' financial aid eligibility in subsequent years.

View student job postings and consider opportunities that are on or off campus. To support AU faculty and staff, search according to AU department. To tutor children through AU's DC Reads program or to work with a local nonprofit organization or government agency, view postings for which the department field reads "FWS Off-Campus." When you are ready to apply, follow the job's application instructions and seek guidance from your career advisor if necessary.

You cannot claim exemption from withholding if (1) your income exceeds $950 and includes more than $300 of unearned income (e.g. interest and dividends) and (2) another person can claim you as a dependent on his or her tax return.

Work study funds are limited, and eligible students are awarded work study as part of their financial aid award

Service Departments:
Available to:
Current Students Future Students