American University provides each student, staff, and faculty member with a unique user name that provides them with access to AU's various online resources.
Students can find their AU ID number in their acceptance packet.
Faculty and part-time staff can obtain their AU ID number from their department. New full-time staff will have their accounts created by the IT Help Desk, as part of the IT OnBoarding process.
Verify the following:
- Make sure you entered your AU ID number correctly. It should be seven digits in length.
- You must also enter your name exactly as it is listed in our administrative system.
- Try entering only your Name, AU ID number, and your Date of Birth only.
- Make sure your Web browser is configured to accept cookies.
- New students should be able to create their accounts, as soon as they are accepted to the university.
- New faculty must be on the roster for teaching a current or future course.
- New part-time staff must have the appropriate paperwork submitted to Human Resources.
- New full-time staff will have their accounts created as part of the IT OnBoarding process.
If you need assistance with any step of the account creation process, please contact the Help Desk at 202-885-2550, firstname.lastname@example.org, or AskAmericanUHelp.
Your AU-sponsored Gmail account uses the same username as your other AU accounts, and it should also use the same password as your myAU account. If your Gmail password is not working, please log into the myau.american.edu portal. Click on TECHNOLOGY. Under Personalized Links, click the SYNCHRONIZE PASSWORDS link and follow the on-screen instructions. Make sure you check the box to also SYNCHRONIZE YOUR GMAIL PASSWORD.
If you are unable to log into the portal, contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, email@example.com, or AskAmericanUHelp to request a password reset, after confirming your identity. You can also reset your password using your secret question and answer, by accessing the RESET AN EXPIRED OR FORGOTTEN PASSWORD link on the myAU login page.
The Blackboard system utilizes a separate account, but the password should be the same as the one you use for myau.american.edu. If you are unable to log into Blackboard with your portal password, contact the IT Help Desk at 202-885-2550, firstname.lastname@example.org, or AskAmericanUHelp.
FACULTY AND STAFF
Web Mail and Blackboard utilize separate accounts, but the passwords should be the same as the one you use for myau.american.edu. Sometimes the system takes longer to create the e-mail account, so the password does not get synchronized.
You can manually force synchronization by logging into myau.american.edu, clicking on TECHNOLOGY, and then on the personalized link SYNCHRONIZE PASSWORDS. Wait 15 minutes for the e-mail account to synchronize.