Commencement ceremonies occur at the end of the fall and spring semesters:
- Fall Commencement – for August, Term 3, Term 4, and December graduates
- Spring Commencement – for Term 1, May, and Term 2 graduates
Graduating students are invited to participate in the school ceremony in which their degree program falls. Please visit the Schedule of Events site for a listing of the commencement dates and times for this academic year. All ceremonies take place in Bender Arena and run approximately two hours.
Review the Health and Safety Requirements for Fall Commencement. The university will continue to monitor conditions related to COVID-19 and follow guidelines set by local and federal government authorities. We will notify graduating students as soon as possible if commencement plans need to be altered or if additional mitigation efforts must be implemented.
Countdown to Commencement
- Apply to graduate on Eagle Service and go to Graduation Overview. Students who anticipate the completion of their degree requirements must submit an application to graduate.
- Check your AU email account for monthly updates from firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Register to participate in commencement by ordering your cap and gown. The regalia ordering site will open in early October for students who are eligible to participate in Fall Commencement.
- Chosen Name Students can now use a chosen first, middle, and last name(s) on their diplomas. Chosen names may include nicknames, anglicized names, initials, mononyms, names that reflect gender identity, or family name(s). They will appear in the commencement program and be recorded for the commencement ceremony if submitted by November 15. Learn more on the chosen name website.
- Diploma Name Verification Even if your chosen name has not changed since you first applied to AU, please take a moment to check your Application to Graduate on Eagle Service to verify the spelling, punctuation, spacing, and capitalization of your diploma name.
- Register with NameCoach for Individual Graduate Recognition. Eligible graduates will receive a unique link to their AU email account in October.
- Reserve guest tickets. An allotment of five (5) guest tickets will be distributed to students who register to participate in commencement.
- Attend Graduation Fair for more information on regalia, graduate recognition, graduation announcements, etc.
- View your transcript on myAU.american.edu. Undergraduates with Latin Honors (3.67 cumulative GPA and 60 of 120 credits at AU) will receive a gold cord; see Undergraduate Academic Regulations, section 5.5. Eligible graduates will receive updates via email this spring.
- Check this website for more updates on plans to celebrate our summer and fall graduates.