The UFUND program provides fundraising and marketing support for programs and initiatives sponsored by key constituents of the university community. Our goal is to help you raise money for an important project or effort that will benefit AU students through the UFUND giving site.
- All faculty, staff and student organizations of American University are eligible to submit an application
- The proposed project must support the mission, vision, values and goals articulated in the university's strategic plan.
- The project goal must be under $10,000. If the total budget for the project exceeds $9,999, other sources of funding must be identified on the application form. Commitment from the other sources must be secured before submitting the proposal.
- Funds raised must be directed to an existing university fund, through which the project will be funded. Approval from the fund administrator must be obtained.
The UFUND Review Committee consists of staff from the Office of Development and Alumni Relations. Each application will be evaluated according to the same criteria:
- The project will directly benefit AU students.
- The project's appeal with alumni.
- The degree to which the project supports the mission, vision, values, and goals in the strategic plan.
- The justification or statement of the need for the project, including sustainability or impact.
- The presentation and comprehensiveness of the proposal.
- The appropriateness of the budgetary request.
- Ability to assist with marketing as applicable.
- Ability to provide additional stewardship of donors.
Funds raised must be used for the purpose(s) described in the application. Any changes to the original funding purpose must be discussed with the UFUND Review Committee. If a project does not reach its funding goal in the time allotted, the gifts will remain in the fund to be used towards an appropriate expense at the discretion of the vice president of development and alumni relations in consultation with the fund administrator.
Applications for inclusion on the university’s UFUND site are accepted at any time. All projects proposed by the Office of Campus Life must be approved by Sally Swanson, Director of Administration and Budget (x3313) and Dominic Greene, Director of Student Activities (x3398) prior to application.
Please allow up to four weeks for review of your application. Once approved, a campaign start date will be assigned by the Review Committee. The organization must submit at least two photos relating to the project or organization two weeks prior to the campaign start. All campaigns will run for six weeks on the UFUND site.