- Additional Positions at AU
- Director, Kogod Cybersecurity Governance Center
Dr. Heng Xu is a Professor of Information Technology and Analytics in the Kogod School of Business at the American University, where she also serves as the Director of the Kogod Cyber Governance Center. Before joining Kogod in 2018, she had a mix of academic and government background, serving as a faculty member at Penn State for 12 years, as well as being a program director at the National Science Foundation for 3 years. She has also served on a broad spectrum of national leadership committees including co-chairing the Federal Privacy R&D Inter-agency Working Group in 2016, and serving on the National Academies Committee on Open Science in 2017-2018.
Dr. Xu's research focuses on information privacy, data analytics, data ethics, and cybersecurity management. Her work has received many awards, including the National Science Foundation's CAREER award in 2010, and many best paper awards and nominations at various leading conferences. Her scholarly work has been published in premier outlets across various fields such as Business, Computer Science, and Law, including Management Information Systems Quarterly (MIS Quarterly), Information Systems Research, Journal of Management, Proceedings of the ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), University of Pennsylvania Journal of Constitutional Law, and many others. Her interdisciplinary research and education have been sponsored by many competitive grants from multiple funding agencies such as the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, National Institute of Health, National Science Foundation, and National Security Agency. Currently she serves as an associate editor at MIS Quarterly and IEEE Security & Privacy.
ITEC-466 Cybersecurity Risk Management
ITEC-467 Cybersecurity Governance
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Best Paper Award from the Consumer 360° Track, American Marketing Association Summer Academic Conference, 2019
- The Operational Research Society's Stafford Beer Medal (for the outstanding contribution to the Information Systems published in the European Journal of Information Systems), 2018
- Best Paper Award, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), 2016 & 2015
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, ACM Conference on Computer Supported Cooperative Work and Social Computing (CSCW), 2015
- Best Paper Honorable Mention Award, ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems (CHI), 2014 & 2013
- Best Paper Nominee, International Conference on Electronic Commerce, 2012
- PNC Technologies Career Development Professorship, Penn State University, 2010 - 2013
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Faculty Early Career Development Award, 2010
- IBM Ph.D. Fellowship, 2004
- Best Theme Paper Nominee, International Conferences on Information Systems, 2003
Grants and Sponsored Research
Selected Ongoing Projects
- Zhang, N. (PI)., and Xu, H. (Co-PI). Theore: Theory-Driven Curation and Reusable Robustness Calculus of Social and Behavioral Sciences (SBS) Claims, Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, 2019-2020.
- Xu, H. (PI), and Zhang, N. (Co-PI). Situation-Aware Identification and Rectification of Regrettable Privacy Decisions, National Science Foundation, 2018-2022.
- Chi, G.(PI), Xu, H. (Co-PI), Yin, J. (Co-PI), Van Hook, J. (Co-PI), and Plutzer, E. (Co-PI). The Generalizability and Replicability of Twitter Data for Population Research, National Science Foundation, 2018-2021.
- Xu, H. (PI), and Zhang, N. (Co-PI). Establishing and Boosting Confidence Levels for Empirical Research Using Twitter Data, National Science Foundation, 2018-2021.
Selected Completed Projects
- Xu, H. (PI). CAREER: Examining Users' Collective Privacy Management for Online Social Networks, National Science Foundation, 2010-2016 ($486,606).
- Xu, H. (PI), Carroll, J. M. (Co-PI), Rosson, M. B. (Co-PI), and Perkins, D. (Co-PI). MySpace Generation's Online Safety: Adolescent Attitude and Behavior, Parental Mediation, and Educational Intervention, National Science Foundation, 2010-2015 ($531,945).
- Reddy, M. (PI), and Xu, H. (Co-PI). Collaborative Privacy Practices: Exploring Privacy in Information Intensive Environments, National Science Foundation, 2010-2015 ($507,981).
- Xu, H. (PI), Rosson, M. B. (Co-PI), and Carroll, J. M. (Co-PI). Privacy Assurance in Location-Based Services: Integrating Economic Exchange and Social Justice Perspectives, National Science Foundation, 2007-2010, ($174,777).