Travel & Re-Entry

Travel within the U.S.

ISSS recommends that you carry your passport, visa, I-20/DS-2019, and I-94 record of entry. These documents can be used for identification and as a confirmation of your immigration status in the U.S.

Re-Entry to the U.S. after Travel Abroad

When you travel outside the United States, the following documents will be needed to re-enter the U.S. and may be requested by the U.S. Immigration service inspector at the port of entry.

Documents to carry when you return to the U.S.

  • Valid I-20 or DS-2019
  • ISSS travel signature on your I-20 or DS-2019 that covers the period you will travel and return to the U.S.
    • To request a travel signature, please log in to iEagle and submit the "Travel Signature Request" e-form under the Current Student menu.  
  • Passport that is valid for at least 6 months after the date you will return to the U.S.
  • Valid F-1 or J-1 visa
  • SEVIS I-901 Payment Confirmation
  • Financial documents dated within the past 3 months to cover at least 1 full academic year
  • ISSS contact information
  • Proof that you are making normal progress in your academic program:

Additional Documents, if applicable:

  • Proof of Reduced Course Load authorization for any semester you were registered less than full-time. 
  • Original Employment Authorization Document Card (EAD card for OPT)
  • Letter of Employment from employer if on OPT

Problems Re-Entering the United States?

If you had problems entering the U.S. you may file a complaint using DHS Trip, a service of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).  

DHS Trip