How to Apply
To apply for the position of Student Trustee-Elect, please submit two documents by Wednesday, July 7, 2021:
- Complete and submit the Online Application for Student-Trustee Elect.
- Email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org, as an attachment. Use the subject line Application for Student Trustee-Elect. Include your name and student ID number in the body of the email.
The 2021-2022 Student Trustee-Elect will attend meetings of the Board of Trustees of American University as an observer and will prepare to serve as Student Trustee during the 2022-2023 academic year.
During the second year, and subject to a vote of the Board of Trustees, the Student Trustee-Elect becomes the Student Trustee and serves as a regular member of the Board of Trustees for purposes of meetings, committee participation, and other general obligations of trusteeship, except for the power to vote.
Board of Trustees meetings are held four times a year: September, November, February and May.
Once applications are received, several brief follow-up questions will be emailed to qualified candidates. Then a four-person student leadership team − the Student Trustee and the presidents of AU Student Government, Graduate Leadership Council, and the Student Bar Association − will select semi-finalist candidates for personal interviews. These are anticipated to take place between July 19-23.
You must be available during this time to be considered. The interview pool ideally will include at least one student from each student government constituency: undergraduate, graduate, and law. Interviews will be conducted remotely.
Student leaders will then submit the name(s) of at least three candidates for consideration to Dr. Fanta Aw, VP of Campus Life and Inclusive Excellence, and the Board of Trustees. The Trusteeship Committee will nominate one candidate to the Board for election as Student Trustee-Elect, which must be approved by a vote of the Board of Trustees.
The Student Trustee-Elect’s term begins in September 2021 and concludes at the end of the May 2022 Board meeting. Upon successful completion of the term, the Student Trustee-Elect will be nominated by the Trusteeship Committee to be elected as Student Trustee, subject to a vote of the Board of Trustees and pursuant to the approval of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of the Methodist Church. serving a term beginning after the May 2022 Board meeting and concluding at the end of the May 2023 Board meeting.
Here is the timeline for Student Trustee-Elect selection:
- June 2 – applications open
- July 7 - applications close
- July 19-23 - interviews with student leaders
- August – interviews with Trustee Committee
- September 2021 – term begins
Eligibility and Qualifications
Candidates for Student Trustee-Elect must be full-time undergraduates, graduate students or law students who will be eligible to serve for two years.
They are expected to present evidence of exemplary academic achievement and involvement in the American University community.
Because there is only one Student Trustee, the successful candidate must be conversant with issues important to most students at American University, regardless of their programs of study, and will demonstrate a general understanding of how university policies and operations affect student life.
Candidates should be able to accept the responsibilities associated with Board service without negative consequences for their academic achievement.
Graduate and law students who also earned their undergraduate degrees at American University are especially encouraged to apply.
Online degree candidates are not eligible.
The student selected for this role is expected to serve two consecutive one-year terms, first as Student Trustee-Elect for one year as an observer and the second as Student Trustee. Students applying for consideration to be Student Trustee-Elect must be eligible to serve both the first and second terms.
Responsibilities of the Board of Trustees
The Board of Trustees exercises its powers of responsibility for the University in the following matters:
- elects the President of the University, appoints the Secretary, and approves the appointments of the Provost, Vice Presidents, and deans;
- establishes University policies, to be executed by the President;
- assists, guides, and evaluates the progress of the University and receives reports from the President in this regard;
- elects Board members and officers;
- approves full-time and tenured faculty appointments recommended by the President;
- confers degrees;
- appoints committees it deems necessary;
- assists in raising funds to support the University; and
- preserves and protects University operations and properties.
- American University Bylaws, Article III, Section 10
The election of any person to the Board [including the Student Trustee-Elect] requires the approval of the General Board of Higher Education and Ministry of The United Methodist Church.
- American University Bylaws, Article III, Section 3
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Board of Trustees Bylaws online at https://www.american.edu/trustees/bylaws.cfm
Thank you for your interest in applying for the position of Student Trustee-Elect
Questions may be directed to:
Director of Communications and Special Asst. to the Vice President of Campus Life