- Additional Positions at AU
- Associate Director, Research, Teaching, and Learning
- Subject Advisor, Art History
- Master of Science, Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- AU Library Research Assistance Desk
- Book Currently Reading
- Raptor Red, by Robert T. Bakker
- Melissa Becher is a Reference/Instruction Librarian and Associate Director of Research, Teaching, and Learning at AU Library. She provides research assistance and information literacy instruction to the AU community. She implements new web-based library services and plays a role in improving user interfaces to the the library's research systems.
Becher, Melissa, "Factors Impacting Library Visibility on Academic Institution Home Pages," Journal of Academic Librarianship 41 (5): 621-628. Published online at:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.acalib.2015.06.019
Becher, Melissa, "Instruction Coordinators and Higher Education Accreditation," Journal of Academic Librarianship 39 (6): 573-581. Published online at http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0099133313000578
Becher, Melissa and Kari Schmidt, "Taking Discovery Systems for a Test Drive," Journal of Web Librarianship 5 (3): 199-219. Published online at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/19322909.2011.583134
Becher, Melissa and Janice Flug, "Using Student Focus Groups to Inform Library Planning and Marketing," College and Undergraduate Libraries 12 (1/2): 1-18. Published online at: http://dx.doi.org/10.1300/J106v12n01_01
Area of Expertise
Library science, Web services, information literacy, assessment
Melissa Becher is associate director of Research, Teaching, and Learning at American University Library. Her research agenda focuses on how the academic library intersects with broader trends in higher education. Three areas of current interest are assessment in higher education, web technology, and the academic workforce.