- PhD, International Relations, American University; MA, Asian Studies, University of California at Berkeley; MA, Comparative Literature, University of Illinois at Urbana; BA, Anthropology and East Asian studies, Princeton University.
- Languages Spoken
- Mandarin Chinese, French, some German and Spanish
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- SIS 308
- Dr. Judith Shapiro is on the faculty of the Global Environmental Politics program and directs the Dual Degree in Natural Resources and Sustainable Development (NRSD) with University for Peace in Costa Rica. She is the author of China's Environmental Challenges (Polity 2012, Second Edition 2016), Mao's War against Nature (Cambridge 2001) and the co-author of Son of the Revolution (Knopf 1983) and other books on China. Her courses include SIS 660 Environment and SIS 352 Politics and Environmental Politics of Asia. Her website is www.judithshapiro.com.
- See Also
- Professor Shapiro's webpage
- China's Environmental Challenges, Polity Press, 2012.
- Mao's War Against Nature: Politics and the Environment in Revolutionary China, Cambridge University Press, 2001.
- Cold Winds, Warm Winds, with Liang Heng, Wesleyan University Press, 1987.
- After the Nightmare, with Liang Heng, Knopf 1987.
- Son of the Revolution, with Liang Heng, Knopf, 1983.
Dr. Shapiro's current research is on the political and social dynamics of environmental degradation, and on the prospects for sustainable development in China.