|12 to 17.5 AU credits per semester
Students from some schools with an active WSP partnership could have a different tuition rate – check with your home university partner representative for confirmation of your tuition rate. You may also email Donna Chapman Williams for your tuition rate.
International Partner Program
Practicum and Practicum Course
2 WSP Sseminars
|Sports Center Fee||$65|
|U·Pass Transportation Program
Unlimited Metrorail and Metrobus transportation for one semester (est savings: $500). Used for travel to and from internship sites, guest speakers, site visits, classes on campus, and recreational activities.
|AU On-Campus Traditional Residence Hall
Free shuttle bus to Metro station.
|Single with community bathroom1||$6452|
|Double with community bathroom||$5048|
1 Priority for single occupancy housing is given to students approved for disability-related accommodations by American University’s Academic Support & Access Center (ASAC). To learn about the process for requesting disability-related housing accommodations, please contact ASAC at email@example.com or +1 202-885-3360.
|Off-Campus AU Leased Housing
Frequency Apartments are across the street from Metro station.
|Small Studio Apartment – Double Occupancy||$6,350|
|Large Studio Apartment – Double Occupancy||$7,056|
Large One-Bedroom or Two-Bedroom Apartment – Double Occupancy
|Off-Campus Fully-Furnished Luxury Apartments2
TurnKey Housing Solutions leases directly to WSP students at special rates. Apartments are walking distance to Metro.
(2 students/bedroom | 4 students/apartment)
(1 student/bedroom | 2 students/apartment)
2Leasing Period (directly with TurnKey Housing Solutions): August 19 - December 18, 2021. Rent can be paid in full upon signing the lease with TurnKey Housing Solutions or monthly according to the schedule below.
- 4 students = $1,350 / student / month ($5,400 / student / semester
- 2 students = $2,700 /student / month ($10,800 / student / semester
- 3 students = $2,700 / single bedroom | $1,350 / shared bedroom / student / month
|Meal Plan Option||Rate|
All Access Plan - 7 Days + 5 Meal Exchanges per week
|175 Block Plan (w/ $400 EagleBuck$)||$2,527|
|100 Block Plan (w/ $400 EagleBuck$)3||$1,644|
|50 Block Plan (w/ $100 EagleBuck$)4||$719|
|0 Block Plan (w/$800 EagleBuck$)||$800|
3WSP Students living on campus are required to enroll in a minimum of 100-block meal plan.
4The 50-block meal plan and $800 in EagleBuck$ are only available for students living in the Frequency, TurnKey or off-campus on their own -- No meal is not required.
|Fall coverage only
August 1 through December 31, 2021
|Spring & Summer coverage
January 1, 2022 – July 31, 2022
|Full Year coverage
August 1, 2021 – July 31, 2022
Summer coverage only
Health insurance is required for all full-time degree, resident, and international students with F1and J1 visas. Your automatic enrollment and charge will show on the bill. You can submit a request for a Health Insurance Waiver if you have comprehensive coverage that is valid for use in Washington, DC. All requests for a waiver must be submitted online by the deadline. For information on submitting waiver requests, please see the Health Insurance Waiver page. Detailed information on the Student Health Insurance Plan and waiver request process can be found on the Student Health Center website.
The waiver and account activation (for students who want to enroll in the AU insurance) will become available after the student receives the registration confirmation email from the Gap Program Advisor. Students who will not waive the health insurance should activate their AU health insurance account. Students who do not submit the waiver nor activate their account will be auto-enrolled in the plan, which will become active approximately four weeks after the start of the semester.
All international students must have health insurance plans with a US carrier who meets the minimum coverage requirements.
- All international students must have health insurance plans with a US carrier who meets the minimum coverage requirements.
- International students will not be permitted to waive the AU health insurance with insurance from their home country.
- Travel insurance is not eligible for a waiver.
- International students must have unlimited medical evacuation benefits and unlimited repatriation benefits.
|Student Commuter/ Resident General Parking (semester rate)||$506.50|
Students should also plan and budget for personal expenses, including medical not covered by health insurance and travel expenses to and from Washington, DC.
Tuition Refund Insurance
Tuition refund insurance is recommended but optional for students who pay tuition and/or other charges directly to AU. Tuition insurance acts as an extension of the University's refund policy, covering tuition payment, housing and meal fees, and other nonrefundable expenses if you withdraw for a covered reason at any time during the semester.
- The fee for the tuition insurance is paid directly to GradGuard.
- GradGuard will allow any student to enroll and select the amount of coverage they wish to purchase.
- Coverage must be purchased by the day before your classes start each semester.
- To get a quote or learn more about the tuition insurance, call Customer Service at 1-866-724-4384 or visit their website at www.gradguard.com/tuition/american
Students who will pay tuition to their home school should contact their home school regarding tuition refund insurance before considering the AU-affiliated tuition refund plan.
|3-credit Internship + Internship Course||$3,800|
Note: Washington Semester Program does not sponsor visas for students in the summer program.
|TurnKey Housing Solutions Single (June 1-July 31)||$5,400|
|TurnKey Housing Solutions Double (June 1-July31)||$2,700|
|AU Single in Traditional Double Room1 (May 8-Aug 8)||$5,060|
|AU Single with Private Bathroom1 (May 8-Aug 8)||$5,520|
|AU Single in Apartment1 (May 8-Aug 8)||$6,440|
1Single occupancy housing is assigned only to students approved for disability-related accommodations by American University’s Academic Support & Access Center. Learn about the process for requesting disability-related housing accommodations.
Housing CancellationsOnly Applicable for AU Housing
- Cancellations of summer 2021 on-campus housing received prior to receiving a room assignment and no less than 14 days prior to the check-in date requested on the housing application will receive the $200 cancellation fee assessed to your student account.
- Summer 2021 cancellations received after receiving a room assignment but before checking in will cause your application and room assignment to be canceled and the charges for the room to be replaced with the $200 cancellation fee on your student account.
- If you request to cancel your summer university housing after having checked in, you will be responsible for full payment of the requested length of stay as indicated on your housing application and/or any approved extension exceptions.
|Summer coverage only2
May 1, 2022 – July 31, 2022
2Students covered by another plan are not required to enroll in the AU health insurance plan.