- Additional Positions at AU
- Vice President of Campus Life
- Dr. Aw earned all of her degrees from American University: BSc in Accounting, MA in Public Administration with a concentration in organization development, and Ph.D. in Sociology with a concentration in international education, social stratification and transnational migration. Her research focuses on the political economy of international education; transnational migration and diaspora communities; and race relations.
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- Unity Garden
Dr. Fanta Aw is Vice President of Campus Life at American University in Washington D.C. The mission of the Office of Campus Life is to integrate students into a diverse learning community; promote their intellectual, social, and spiritual development; and, in collaboration with the faculty, prepare students for lifelong learning and global citizenship. Dr. Aw provides senior executive leadership for 15 departments in Campus Life. She has spent 28 years in higher education administration, most recently as Assistant Vice President of Campus Life. She advises American University leadership on matters related to campus internationalization, issues of inclusion, diversity and equity, and student engagement. Dr. Aw is also the School of International Service’s Hurst Senior Professorial Lecturer; she teaches graduate courses related to immigration, internationalization of higher education, and international higher education policy. She is the 2013 recipient of the University Award for Outstanding Teaching in an Adjunct Position.
Dr. Aw is past President and Chair of the Board of Directors of NAFSA: Association of International Educators, the largest membership association of international educators with close to 10,000 members. She has chaired the board of ETS TOEFL. She served on the the board of Cultural Vista, as well as the Advisory Council for the Center for Education Diplomacy. Dr. Aw is a frequent keynote speaker on topics related to U.S. immigration, international educational exchanges, and diversity and inclusion in higher education. She has been interviewed by major global media outlets including CNN, Agence France Press, USA Today, Washington Post, The Chronicle of Higher Education, National Public Radio, Middle East Broadcast Corporation, Washington Business Journal, WAMU, Radio France International, Washington Diplomat, and China Daily.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Diversity Award, 2007, American University, Washington, DC
- Campus Excellence Award, 2007, Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender and Ally Resource Center, American University, Washington, DC
- Outstanding Service Award, 1996, 2001, 2005, American University, Washington, DC
- Award for Exemplary Service, 1996, Multicultural Affairs, American University, Washington, DC
- Best Session of the NAFSA Region VIII Conference, 2005, T.A.L.K.: Taking Action to Learn about “Kulture” , NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Washington, DC
- Designed and facilitated over a 100 immigration, cross-cultural communication, and international education exchange presentations and workshops for NAFSA: Association of International Educators, Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, United Negro College Fund, AMIDEAST, Academy for Educational Development, the College Board, American Council, Hillel, and the IIE (Institute for International Education)
- Designed and facilitated intercultural communication and diversity workshops for students and staff at American University
- Keynote speaker and workshop leader on immigration, international exchange programs, and intercultural communication, and trends in higher education for the State Department Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs, Educational advising conferences; East Asia and Pacific, Middle East, North Africa, South America, Africa, and Eurasia
Area of Expertise
Intercultural communication, international educational exchange, campus internationalization, race relations, Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS), managing international programs, transnational migration, immigration policies