- Additional Positions at AU
- Affiliate Professor of Sociology
- PhD, Northwestern University; MA, Northwestern University; BA, Dartmouth College Doctor Honoris Causa, Ritsumeikan University (Kyoto), University for Peace (San Jose, Costa Rica), San Martin de Porres (Lima)
- Languages Spoken
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- the tennis courts
- Book Currently Reading
- Waging Peace: How Eisenhower Shaped an Enduring Cold War Strategy
- Louis Goodman carries out research on social change and politics in Latin America and in Asia. His current research focuses on public goods, regional alliances and development. He has published widely on civil-military relations in Latin America, on foreign investment in developing countries and on determinants of career success for blue-collar workers. He has researched and lived abroad in Chile, Ecuador, Mexico,Peru and Singapore. In 1992 Dr. Goodman served as the President of the Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs.
SIS-647 Governance and Development
SISU-340 Topics in Global Inequalty/Dev: Good Govern & Sustainable Dev
SIS-635 Adv Topics in Development Mgmt: Reg Cooperatn/Sustainable Dev
SISU-106 First Year Seminar: Globalization 3.0
- Director, Latin America Program, Social Science Research Council - 1974-1978
- Director, Latin American Program, Woodrow Wilson Center for International Scholars - 1982-1986
- President, Association of Professional Schools of International Affairs, 1992
- Dean, School of International Service, American University, 1986-2011
- Workers and Managers in Latin American, Heath, 1972
- The Multinational Corporation and Social Change, Praeger, 1976
- Small Nations, Giant Firms: Capital Allocation Decisions in Transnational Corporations, Holmes and Meier, 1987.
- The Military and Democracy in Latin America, Heath-Lexington, 1990.
- Lessons from the Venezuelan Experience, Johns Hopkins, 1995.
- International Affairs Education on the Eve of the 21st Century, APSIA, 1994.
- Lessons from the Venezuelan Experience, John Hopkins, 1995
- 21st Century Cooperation: Regional Public Goods, Global Governance, and Sustainable Development, Routledge, 2017
Area of Expertise
International affairs education; U.S. foreign policy in Latin America; democracy-building; civil-military relations in Latin America; role of the military in the war on drugs; international business; immigration reform, Asia, social change
Louis W. Goodman became Emeritus Dean and Professor of International Relations at American University’s School of International Service in August 2011, having served as the School's Dean since July, 1986. Under his leadership the School of International Service became the largest school of international relations in the United States. The author of numerous books and articles, Dr. Goodman’s current research focuses in democracy building and civilian control of the armed forces in Latin America and on the rise of Asia and 21st century international relations.