- PhD, Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University; BA, Stanford University
- Professor Henning specializes in international and comparative political economy, global governance and regional integration. He has focused recently on international regime complexity and the euro crisis, the evolution of European integration, regional arrangements in East Asia, fiscal federalism, and the Group of Twenty. He has authored and edited a number of books and journal articles. Currently, he is conducting projects on the fragmentation of global financial governance and the challenges posed by regional cooperation in Europe and Asia for multilateral institutions.
- "Avoiding Fragmentation and Global Financial Governance," Global Policy 8 (no.1, February 2017): 101-106
- "Global and Regional Financial Governance: Designing Cooperation," in Global Order and the New Regionalism, a Discussion Paper on Global and Regional Governance edited by Miles Kahler
- Global Financial Governance Confronts the Rising Powers: Emerging Perspectives on the New G20, edited with Andrew Walter (Waterloo, Ontario: Centre Governance and the Changing Structire of International Finance," viewable at the book's site
- "The Global Liquidity Safety Net: Institutional Cooperation on Precautionary Facilities and Central Bank Swaps." New Thinking and the New G20 Series, Paper No.5. Waterloo, Ontario: CIGI, 2015.
- "The ECB as a Strategic Actor: Central Bannking in a Politically Fragmented Monetary Union." in Europe's Crises: Economic and Political Challenges of the Monetary Union, edited by James Caporaso and Martin Rhodes (New York: Oxford University Press, Forthcoming). School of International Service Research Paper No. 2015-1
- "Currency," in the Oxford Handbook of the International Relations of Asia, edited by Rosemary Foot, Saadia Pekkanen and John Ravenhill. (New York/London: Oxford University Press, 2014). With Saori Katada
- Global Economics in Extraordinary Times: Essays in Honor of John Williamson. Co-Edited by C. Fred Bergsten. Peterson Institute Press, November 2012.
- "Choice and Coercion in East Asian Exchange Rate Regimes," Peterson Institute for International Economics, September 2012.
- "California's Lesson for the Euro." The Prospect, June 20, 2012.
- Interview: "The G-8 and Euro Area Clouds," Peterson Institute for International Economics, May 17, 2012
- Interview: "Toward a European Fiscal Union (Part I | Part II)," Peterson Institute Perspective, May 4-7, 2012.
- "Fiscal Federalism: U.S. History for Architects of Europe's Fiscal Union," with Martin Kessler, Peterson Institute for International Economics, January 2012.
- "Asia and Global Financial Governance," with Mohsin S. Khan, Peterson Institute for International Economics, October 2011.
- "Coordinating Regional and Multilateral Financial Institutions," Peterson Institute for International Economics, March 2011.
- "The Future of the Chiang Mai Initiative: An Asian Monetary Fund?" Peterson Institute for International Economics, February 2009.
- Accountabiltiy and Oversight of U.S. Exchange Rate Policy. Peterson Institute Press, June 2008.
Book: Tangled Governance: International Regime Complexity, the Troika, and the Euro Crisis, published by Oxford University Press, 2017.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Visiting Fellow, Peterson Institute 1995-2013
- European Community Studies Association Distinguished Scholar 1999
- Principal Investigator, "New Thinking and the New G20" project, supported by the Center for International Governance and Innovation (CIGI)
- Faculty President, School of International Service, 2004-2005
- Faculty Selection Committee, German Marshall Fund of the United States
- Member of the American Political Science Association, International Studies Association, European Union Studies Association, Council of European Studies and the Bretton Woods Committee