- PhD, International Studies, American University, MA, History, Delhi University, India, BA (Honours) History, Delhi University
- Languages Spoken
- English, French, Hindi, Punjabi
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- The Quad
- Professor Surjit Mansingh presently teaches as an adjunct in the School of International Service. She retired a few years ago from her position as Professor and Chairperson, Centre for International Politics at the Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi. She has taught at other Universities in the US, India and Europe and began her professional life as a member of the Indian Foreign Service. She is the author of many books and papers on foreign relations and Indian history.
Honors, Awards, and Fellowships
- Associate in IREX Award for a Parallel History Project on Soviet-Indian relations during the Cold War.
- Fellowship from the Nehru Memorial Centre for Contemporary Studies.
- Fellowship from the Indian Council for Social Science Research.
- Ranked first in the all-India competitive examination for the Indian Foreign Service.
- Voice of America, Hindi programs
- NDTV, New Delhi
For many years now my main research interest has been the comparative study of India and China, especially the relations of each with the United States. A continuing research interest is in Indian foreign policy, recently facilitated by declassification of archives and private papers.
- Chairperson, Centre for International Politics, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi, India.
- Desk Officer/ United Nations in Ministry of External Affairs, New Delhi.
- Second Secretary, Embassy of India, Washington DC.
Grants and Sponsored Research
- Grant from the Lyndon B. Johnson Foundation
- Grant from the American Institute for Indian Studies
- Grant from the American Association of University Women
- Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore
- School of Advanced International Studies, JHU, Washington DC
- George Washington University, Washington DC
- Chretian Michelson Institute, Bergen, Norway
- Chinese Institute of International Studies, Beijing
- University of Lisbon, Lisbon, Portugal
- National Defence College, New Delhi, India
- Defence Forces Staff College, Wellington, India
- Central Institute of Strategic Studies, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Institute of Southeast Asian Studies, Singapore
Work In Progress
- An Evolving Triangle? The US, India and China in the 21st Century: Old and New Relationships in a Changing International System.