After Hours and Weekend Activities
Activities will be updated when additional special events or opportunities become available. All listed activities are included in the housing and dining fee per two-week, three-week, and four-week sessions. Students who commute to class daily may sign up on the first day of the session for activities and pay $25.00 per activity.
Session 1 - Sunday, June 14
• 12-4pm Students fly into DCA or train into Union Station
• 1-4pm Students living on campus check in and tour AU’s campus
• 6 pm Ice breakers, Pizza Welcome Dinner, Orientation to AU
Welcome to American University! Students living on campus arrive today. Those needing a ride from Reagan National Airport or Union Station should arrive between 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. The Teaching Assistants will meet you at the gate! (We must have flight arrival information in advance.) After arrival, check into Anderson Hall. Then take a tour of the campus and participate in our pizza welcome dinner.
Monday, June 15
• 8:30am Welcome Reception in McKinley for morning classes
• 12:30pm Welcome reception in McKinley for afternoon classes
• Dinner, National Cathedral & Ice Cream Social
Students and parents are welcome to join us for the welcome reception on the first day of classes to meet their professors and teaching assistants. After classes are over, students will visit the National Cathedral, an aesthetically beautiful building, located in Northwest Washington, and just a short walk from the American University campus.
Tuesday, June 16
• Old Post Office Pavilion & Washington Monuments Tour
Head downtown for the highest view of the city besides the Washington Monument at the Old Post Office Pavilion where you can shop for souvenirs, eat some snacks and tour the clock tower. Walk from the Post Office Pavilion to the National Mall where you can view the Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, Washington Monument, World War II Memorial and more!
Wednesday, June 17
• Swim and watch a movie on campus (swimming: 6-8 pm)
Thursday, June 18
• Dinner near the National Zoo
• Visit the Smithsonian National Zoological Park
Enjoy a warm summer evening at the Smithsonian's National Zoo and explore the indoor and outdoor exhibits that feature over 2,000 mammals, birds, reptiles and more. Wander through the zoo grounds and see the famous pandas.
Friday, June 19
• Grab food in Tenleytown for a picnic at Fort Reno Park and wiffle ball.
Saturday, June 20
• Visit the Newseum, DC’s most interactive museum with a view of the Capitol
• Play games and watch a movie on campus
The Newseum is DC’s most interactive museum on all things news and media related. The museum features the front pages of local, national and international newspapers, a Pulitzer Prize winning photography exhibit, a 9/11 exhibit and part of the Berlin Wall.
Sunday, June 21
• 12-4pm 16mm Film students fly into DCA or train into Union Station
• 1-4pm New students living on campus check in
• Washington Nationals Game
Welcome to American University! Students living on campus arrive today. Those needing a ride from Reagan National Airport should arrive between 12:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. The Teaching Assistants will meet you at the gate! (We must have flight arrival information in advance.) After moving into Hughes Hall, new students will join the group for a night out at the Nationals ballpark.
Monday, June 22
• AU Admissions Info Session
• Play games and watch a movie on campus
After a busy first week and a full weekend students get some time to relax on campus. Take advantage of Jacobs Fitness center to use the gym or the pool, get a game of frisbee started on the quad, or watch a movie on the big screen in the Doyle/Forman Theater.
Tuesday, June 23
• Head to paddle boats at the Tidal Basin (4:30 p.m.)
Wednesday, June 24
• Outdoor concert at Strathmore, a cultural and artistic venue in North Bethesda
Thursday, June 25
• Kickball and Talent Show
Time to revisit your favorite gym class game… KICKBALL!!! That's right - we’ll be organizing a program-wide kickball game on an official NCAA-size baseball field. The winners of the kickball game will get bragging rights. Then it's time for the DWC Talent Show - the perfect opportunity to show off your skills and creativity.
Friday, June 26
• 9:00 a.m. Presentations & Screenings (Families Welcome)
• 12:00 p.m. Session 1 students check out and depart
• 6:00 p.m. Remaining students attend a film screening.
Today is the day we have all been waiting for; the showcase of all your work! Students, friends and families are invited to join us on campus at American University at 9:00 a.m. to hear presentations, watch student films, view photography and share experiences from session one of Discover the World of Communication.
Saturday, June 27
• Visit the Smithsonian Museum Exhibit (TBA)
• Shop and eat at Union Station
Tour one of the amazing Smithsonian museums. Just a short walk from the National Mall is Union Station—definitely not just a train station anymore! It now holds plenty of shops to browse and restaurants to dine at.