Change of Education Level

This information is for those individuals who are changing from one level of study to another at American University (i.e. Bachelor's to Master's degree, Master's to Doctoral degree).

Steps to Change Education Level

Present the items together in the order given. Keep a photocopy of each item for your records.

  1. Gain acceptance to an academic program that is a different level from your current program (i.e. Master's to Doctoral).

    For IAP/MAP/Pre-sessional Students:
    If you are in IAP/MAP/Pre-sessional program, your acceptance into the next program at AU is determined at the end of the semester you are scheduled to complete your current program.
  2. Submit a complete CFIS Form and proof of financial support (bank statement, scholarship letter, affidavit of support, etc.) to your admissions unit. Please refer to the Cost Guide to confirm the total ammount you need to demonstrate to receive a new I-20. 

    For IAP/MAP/Pre-sessional students:
    You must submit the CFIS form and Financial Documents through the Financial Document Submission form on iEagle before your current program ends. 
  3. Your admissions unit will submit an official request to ISSS to issue a new I-20.

ISSS will issue an I-20 with a new level of study up to two weeks but no more than 60 days after your current program completion.

After you register full-time for classes, please complete the required Immigration Registration e-forms on iEagle. Please note that the change of level process is not complete until you have submitted these e-forms.