Study & Employment for F-2 Spouses and Children

F-2 dependents (spouses and children) are permitted to enroll in less than a full course of study at an SEVP-certified school even if the course of study leads to or counts towards a degree or certificate. F-2 spouses and children are not allowed to engage in a full course of study. If F-2 spouses and children wish to engage in study full-time, then the F-2 should change status to F-1. For children to qualify for F-2 status they must be under 21 years old and unmarried.

Study for F-2 children: kindergarten through high school level (K-12)

F-2 dependent children may only engage in full-time study at the K-12 level. You may find more information regarding K-12 level education in the Districtor of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia below:

District of Columbia

District of Columbia Public Schools


Montgomery County Public Schools

Prince George's County Public Schools


Alexandria City Public Schools

Arlington County Public Schools

Fairfax County Public Schools

Employment for F-2 spouses and children

F-2 spouses and children are not allowed to engage in employment at any point during F-2 status (Curricular Practical Training, Optional Practical Training, On-campus employment, and etc.).