Skills and Workshops for Academic Success
ASC workshop on time management
Knowing one's learning style and having an effective study technique can help a student be successful across the curriculum. If you're looking for a different way to organize course information, get what you need from the readings, study for an exam, or manage your time, you can start by meeting individually with an ASC counselor. We also invite you to take the learning styles and study skills assessments and look through the materials available online here and in the center.
Academic Support Center Workshop Series
In addition to individual consultations, we offer workshops each fall and spring on a variety of reading, writing, and study skills topics. Students are welcome to attend any workshop; reservations are not required. The current workshop schedule is available in Quick Links.
Top Ten Tips for Academic Success
- Keep your syllabus handy for each class. It is your guide for the entire semester. Note exams, papers, and projects on a semester calendar.
- Talk with your professors and your academic advisor.
- Familiarize yourself with the campus and its resources.
- Set priorities in your life and get control of your time.
- Arrange a regular study area - comfortable, but not TOO comfortable - where you are most effective.
- Develop successful study strategies for reading textbooks, taking notes, and studying for exams.
- Continually improve your writing skills. For instance, visit the Writing Lab or Writing Center.
- Take academic integrity seriously. Consult a writer's handbook, a faculty member, a reference librarian, or seek writing assistance if you're not sure how to cite sources or what constitutes plagiarism.
- Stay healthy and reduce stress. Sleep 6 to 8 hours every night, eat well, exercise regularly, and have fun.
- Ask for help when you need it, before there is a problem.