- MFA, Sculpture and Extended Media, Virginia Commonwealth University BA, Studio Art; Freed-Hardeman University
- Andy Holtin received his MFA from Virginia Commonwealth University’s Sculpture and Exended Media program. His work uses technological systems to create perfomative objects and interactive installations, incorporating an exploratory range of materials and processes. Holtin currently works as half of the collaborative duo CausalityLabs, pursuing projects that explore mechanism as metaphor for human experience and perception. His work has been exhibited internationally at locations including Galerie35, Berlin, Germany; Museo Antropologico y de Arte Contemporaneo, Ecuador; Museo Universitario Arte Contemporaneo, Mexico City; Planetario Alfa Science and Culture Museum, Mexico; and nationally at museums, galleries, and universities from New York to Portland to Florida. Holtin teaches all levels of Sculpture, addressing traditional media as well as installation formats, kinetic and interactive systems, and digital audio and video.
ARTS-215 Artist's Perspectve: Sculpture
ARTS-400 Senior Seminar
See CV for full list.
- Galerie35; Berlin, Germany
- Takt Kunstprojektraum; Berlin, Germany
- Museo Antropológico y de Arte Contemporáneo; Guayaquil, Ecuador
Holtin’s current work and research focuses on the exploration of cognitive processes through the development of and interaction with performative objects in a form of sculptural theater. Using systems ranging from simple machines to interactive robotics, his works orchestrate events that ask us to scrutinize cause and effect and our assumptions about the objects and materials of our culture. He has particular interests in the history of the sciences and linguistics.
Professional PresentationsVisiting Artist Presentations
- Virginia Commonwealth University
- Maryland Institute College of Art
- Florida Atlantic University
- Indiana University
- University of Virginia