- The U·Pass program has been permanently approved by the Washington Metropolitan Transit Authority (WMATA).
- Both new and returning students must pick-up a new U·Pass. Previously issued U·Passes must be replaced.
- All full-time undergraduate, graduate and law school students are eligible for the 2019-2020 U·Pass. Part-time, online and study abroad students are excluded from eligibility.
- The $136 mandatory U·Pass fee provides unlimited Metrorail and Metrobus trips for 136 days each semester, beginning on August 12, 2019.
- WMATA is working with regional transit providers like Montgomery County RideOn and the DC Circulator to add those services to the U·Pass in the future at no additional cost.
Students will be notified about the U·Pass distribution and the program disclaimer via the myAU portal beginning in early August.
About the U·Pass
American University, in partnership with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority (WMATA), is providing students with a University Pass (U·Pass) with the benefit for a flat fee. Since the program’s inception, more than 10,000 American University undergraduates, graduates and law school students have been enrolled in the program. The U·Pass has generated over 2.2 million rides on Metrobus and Metrorail with ridership in the Tenleytown corridor increasing by 10 percent over pre-U·Pass (2015) levels. Beginning as a pilot program, American University was the first institution in the region to the adopt the program and since then 10 other schools have enrolled in the program. On April 26, 2018, the WMATA Board of Directors approved the permanent adoption of the program. Students will still be able to benefit from $1.00 per day fee structure and have unlimited rides on Metrorail and Metrobus for the semester. The mandatory fee will appear on the student bill for all full-time undergraduate, graduate, and law students. However, the fee will not be assessed for all full-time distance (online) learning, MetroAccess-eligible, and students studying abroad during Fall 2018. The approval of the program will allow WMATA to expand the program in the future to include regional partner participation with Montgomery Country RideOn, the Washington D.C. Circulator, and others.
Previous Changes to the Program
Beginning in the 2018-2019 academic year, students will experience several changes in the program from previous years; all new and returning students will have to pick up a new card at the start of the semester. Cards from the past semester have been deactivated and can be recycled at any distribution location. All eligible students will have to acknowledge a digital disclaimer for the program that will be made available on the myAU portal on Monday, August 6, 2018 before picking up their U·Pass. Students will be required to pick-up a new U·Pass each school year.
The U·Pass will be valid for 136 days per semester, and the mandatory fee will be $136.00 per semester. During the Fall 2019 semester, the U·Pass will be active beginning on August 12, 2019, and end on December 25, 2019. Students may pick up their U·Pass from any distribution location but must have their AU Identification Card. Other forms of identification will not be accepted.
Where can I pick up a U·Pass?
Mary Graydon Center (MGC), 1st Floor
- Tuesday, August 20 - 9:00am - 5:00pm
- Wednesday, August 21 - 9:00am - 5:00pm
Don Myers Technology & Innovation Building
- Thursday, August 22 - 10:00am - 3:00pm - DMTI 109
- Friday, August 23 - 10:00am - 3:00pm - DMTI 111
- Saturday, August 24 - 10:00am - 2:00pm - DMTI 109
- Monday, August 26 - 10:00am - 3:00pm - DMTI 111
- Tuesday, August 27 - 10:00am - 3:00pm - Location TBD
- Wednesday, August 28 - 10:00am - 3:00pm - DMTI 111
Commons Area, Washington College of Law
- Thursday, August 22 - 4:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, August 29 - 10:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
What do I need to bring to receive my U·Pass?
You must bring an AU Identification Card. You are also required to sign a digital disclaimer on the myAU portal before receiving the U-Pass.
What if I am unable to pick up the U·Pass during the above dates and times? Visit Parking & Commuter Services, located on the Terrace Level of the Don Myers Technology & Innovation Building following distribution on Thursday, August 29. The office is open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., and Friday 8:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
When is my U·Pass active?
Your U-Pass will be active upon pick up! It is important to note that students who move below full-time status at any point in the semester will have their card deactivated. I already have a U·Pass.
Do I need a new one?
Yes. All returning students with a U·Pass will have to pick up a new card at any distribution location. Students can also recycle their old card at these locations. I am on a waitlist for a course.
Can I still pick up a U·Pass?
No. Only full-time students who have been assessed the fee will be eligible to pick up a U·Pass. Once registered for a full-time course load, students may pick up a U·Pass at any time.
Additional Information & Questions
Information about the U·Pass program and how to pick up your card is available from the Office of Parking & Commuter Services. If you have questions:
- Visit: http://www.american.edu/upass
- Call: (202) 885-3111
- E-mail: email@example.com
- Visit us at: Parking & Commuter Services Don Myers Building, Terrace Level 3501 Nebraska Ave NW, Washington, DC 20016
Hours of Operation:
Monday-Thursday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m
Be sure to follow @ParkingatAU on Twitter for current information on the program and MetroAlerts.