You are here: American University Financial Aid Citizenship Status

Contact Us

4400 Massachusetts Avenue NW Washington, DC 20016 United States

Back to top

Do I need to be a U.S. citizen to receive need-based aid?

To receive federal aid or institutional need-based aid, you must be either a U.S. citizen or eligible permanent resident. American University is committed to undocumented students.

If you are asked to verify your status as a citizen or permanent resident of the United States, acceptable documentation includes one of the following:

  • Documentation indicating U.S. citizenship: U.S. birth certificate, U.S. passport, certificate of citizenship, naturalization, or birth abroad.

  • Alien Registration Receipt Card: I-151 or I-551 (front and back).

  • Departure Record: I-94 or CBP I-94A. Must be stamped "Processed for I-551" with expiration date or "Temporary Form I-551" with appropriate information filled in.

  • Machine Readable Immigrant Visa (MRIV), which serves as a temporary I-551.

All other eligible non-citizens (refugees, asylees, parolees, and other special circumstances) must provide written documentation from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) that they hold a citizenship status approved for the receipt of federal financial aid. This documentation will then be matched with DHS records.