AhealthyU, the Office of Sustainability, and Office of Parking and Commuter Services invite you to celebrate national bike month with a bike to work day breakfast! Biking is a fun, healthy, and eco-friendly way to get to work. By biking to work, you can:
- Burn over 200 calories in 30 minutes
- Save time by bypassing rush hour traffic
- Reduce your risk of heart disease
- Save money on car maintenance, fuel, and parking
- Meet other cyclists at city-wide pit stops and at breakfast on the Quad
Bikers of all abilities are welcome!
Register for Bike to Work Day with the Washington Area Bicycle Association and take advantage of the pit stops located throughout the region or to join a convoy on your bike route on May 18th. Be sure to list American University as your employer when you register!
- AU offers biking information and connections to city resources for first time riders and experienced cyclists.
- Bike to Work Day - Metro DC - On Friday May 18, 2017 Commuter Connections and the Washington Area Bicyclist Association invite you to celebrate bicycling as a clean, fun, and healthy way to get to work. Attend one of over 85 pit stops in D.C., MD, and VA to receive refreshments, and be entered into a raffle for bicycles being given away.
- The mission of the Washington Area Bicyclist Association is to create a healthy, more livable region by promoting bicycling for fun, fitness, and affordable transportation.
- 8am - 10am
- Meet on the Quad in front of MGC
- Complimentary breakfast
- Fun giveaways for riders
- All riders granted access to Jacobs Fitness Center showers - Pick up a shower pass at breakfast and present it along with your AU ID at Jacobs Fitness Center
- WIN fun raffle prizes including bike accessories, Capital Bikeshare membership, and more!
If you would like to coordinate your route with fellow AU colleagues, connect on the AU Bicycle Facebook Group. Let others know where you'll be leaving from to match with other riders who might be looking for route recommendations for the 18th.
Don't have a bike?
AhealthyU has you covered.
Capital Bikeshare has over 3000 bicycles throughout the DC metro region at your fingertips. AhealthyU has three Capital Bikeshare keys and helmets for faculty and staff to borrow for 30-minute rides.
The closest station to American University is behind Kay Spiritual Life Center on Massachusetts Avenue. If you would like to access a bike for a complimentary 30-minute ride for Bike to Work Day, or any work day, please contact AhealthyU.