- Submit the $5 registration fee online.
- Form a team. If you are a free agent and would like to be placed on a team, email AhealthyU and skip this step.
- Select a team captain. The team captain will create the team on the Givhero app and invite team members.
- Review the Step-by-Step Guide for full registration details.
- Sign an Exercise Release form. If you completed a waiver any time after January 1, 2020, skip this step.
- Start stepping!
Registration closes Monday, May 24 at 5pm
Only one participant needs to create the team on behalf of all team members. Designate a team captain to create the team on the Givhero app using a mobile device to invite each member.
Submit $5 registration fee. All participants must pay a $5 registration fee online by May 24. Registration fees fund the grand prize pot for challenge winners.
Are you a Team Captain? TAP on the link from your SMART PHONE to set up your team and join the challenge: https://givhero.page.link/aupedometer. Follow the steps to either create an account or log into an existing Givhero account. Once your team is created, add team members by tapping on Teams >> Your Team >> on the red “+” icon (under Members) and invite each person individually.
Are you a Team Member? Do not use the above link. Wait for an invitation email to join your team from your team captain. Your team captain will share a unique link for you to join. TAP on the link in the invitation email you receive from your SMART PHONE to join the team. You can either create an account or log into using existing Givhero account.
Sign an Exercise Release Form. All participants must sign and submit an electronic Exercise Release form by May 24. If you completed a form any time after January 1, 2020, skip this step.
Let's get started!
- You do not need a fitness tracker to participate. You can use a smartphone along with an app like Google Fit or Apple Health for iOS.
- Or you can enter your data manually in the Givhero app by tapping on challenge on the dashboard and then tapping on calendar icon on lower left. Givhero syncs every 15 minutes.
Note: If you are using a step tracking device, many are designed to count steps taken for the individual who is wearing the device. Certain activities (like bike riding, where the user is not taking steps), will record some "steps" on the device. Steps recorded during these activities will generally be lower than steps recorded during activities like walking and jogging.
To maintain the integrity and intent of the program, AhealthyU encourages you to engage in activities that are intended to promote cardiovascular health, such as walking, jogging, and other physical activities.
Pedometer Challenge Leaderboard
AhealthyU will send a weekly email to all participants with an update on the official team standings. For a live view of all of the teams in the challenge, visit the Pedometer Challenge Leaderboard.
Prizes and Points
Win prizes and earn points throughout the program! There are three ways to earn prizes/points.
1. Grand cash prize*: Cash prizes will be awarded to the top three teams. Top teams will be determined based on total average steps per team member (total number of steps/number of team members). The top place team will also be awarded the traveling campus trophy in the fall.
2. Weekly $25 EagleBucks** raffle: Each week that you record steps for at least once, you will be automatically entered into a weekly raffle for $25 in EagleBucks. Weeks run Monday - Sunday. EagleBucks can be used at accepting EagleBucks locations.
3. Earn points**: Points to AhealthyU Game players can earn 8 points for recording thier steps at least one day each week (Monday - Sunday) for all four weeks of the program. Visit the Points to AhealthyU Game website to learn more.
*The cash prize amount will be determined by the number of participants. Participants must pay the $5 registration fee in order to be eligible. Monetary prize is subject to tax. If a non-AU employee is on a top team, the cash prize for that participant will be paid out to an AU employee on the team.
**Only AU employees are eligible for this offering.
All participants are encouraged to practice social distancing and follow guidelines from local authorities when walking outdoors and/or engaging in physical activity.
Here are some tips for safely fitting steps into your daily routine:
- Give yourself plenty of space. Find streets or trails that are less crowded, or walk during times when fewer people are outside.
- Mix up your walking route. Find a new park, trail, or neighborhood to walk through for a change of scenery and terrain.
- Keep things interesting. If your walking options are limited, try listening to a podcast or including a scavenger hunt along the way to make the walk more exciting.
- Utilize your indoor space. If possible, walk around your house during meetings, climb stairs nearby, or take your pet on a short walk in the backyard.