- Learn more about working for American University as you support departments across campus on short-term, temporary assignments.
- Gain new skills and experiences while enjoying the flexibility of temporary assignments.
The American University Ready Hire program offers you a chance to become a part of a pre-screened and qualified pool of diverse candidates who are ready to fill a variety of temporary openings throughout the university. The service speeds up and streamlines the hiring process for positions at AU. Become a part of our select pool of candidates.
Who Should Apply?
Candidates must be genuinely interested in higher education and want to work in higher education for the long term.
What Are The Requirements?
- Bachelor's degree and at least one year of administrative experience or two years of college and 4-5 years of administrative support experience. Experience working in higher education is preferred. This includes student positions and internships.
- Demonstrated high level of attention to detail.
- High level of professionalism and communication skills (oral and written).
- Basic computer and Microsoft Office proficiency.
- Primarily temporary assignments, but occasionally full-time and part-time permanent positions
- Temporary positions vary in length but are usually 1-3 months long. Candidates are required to be available for temporary positions.
- Sample positions include administrative assistant, staff assistant, executive assistant, academic program assistant, event coordinator, and more!
- Departments and industries include, but are not limited to, academic programs, administrative offices, executive offices, and student affairs.
- Positions and pay vary by job duties and requirements.
- Apply online on our careers site.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit both a resume and cover letter. Cover letters should indicate types of positions for which you would like to be considered.
All selected candidates will undergo an in-person interview process, skills testing (Microsoft Word and Excel, a brief attention to detail test, and a proofreading test), and a reference check.
The AU Ready Hire program works with a select pool of candidates. Until you hear back from the AU Ready Hire program, please continue to apply online directly to positions in which you are interested.
When are positions available through the AU Ready Hire program?
The AU Ready Hire program works on vacant temporary positions year-round.
Is it required to be available for temporary positions?
Yes, candidates need to be available for temporary assignments. Temporary positions at American University are not posted online, so you should apply to the AU Ready Hire program in order to be considered for temporary positions.
How soon must I be available to start work?
Candidates should be available to start fairly immediately and within a few weeks' notice of being offered a position.
I do not live near Washington, DC. Can I still become a part of the AU Ready Hire program?
No, due to the short-term, temporary nature of Ready Hire positions, candidates must live locally to American University in order to be a part of the program. Ready Hire candidates reside in Maryland, Virginia and Washington, DC.
With which departments does the AU Ready Hire program work to fill positions?
AU Ready Hire works with all of the American University departments and schools. This includes everything from the individual academic programs to the executive offices! We are a part of American University's Office of Human Resources and are entirely internal and free-of-charge to our departments and schools.
- Network with American University departments, schools, and supervisors.
- Test the waters; see how you like working at American University before committing to a permanent position.
- Demonstrate your skills to American University staff and supervisors.