New This Year
We are excited to announce that with the engagement and support of our community, our mentorship program is now a year-round initiative, running from September 2019 - April 2020, that incorporates planned workshops and events tailored to the interests and goals of the mentees.
Mentorship represents a collaborative approach to professional and personal advancement, for both mentors and mentees. In Spring 2019, the AU Latino & Hispanic Faculty and Staff Affinity Group launched a three-month pilot mentorship program with the support of an Inclusive Excellence Mini-Grant, to partner Hispanic, Latino, and Latinx students with similarly identified faculty and staff. In minority communities, professional networks remain underdeveloped. The purpose of this mentorship program is to build a community of connection that promotes personal growth and career development.
The AU Latino & Hispanic Mentorship Program aims to:
- build a supportive bridge between Latino & Hispanic undergraduate students and Latino & Hispanic staff and faculty;
- foster inclusivity, excellence, and equity within the Latino & Hispanic student, staff, and faculty community through connectivity, visibility, guidance, and mentorship; and
- support the personal and professional growth of mentees and mentors, through in-person, head and heart dialogue.
As a mentee, you will:
- gain guidance from an AU professional aligned with your interests, passions, and goals
- engage and create collaborative opportunities for personal and professional growth
- explore strategies or steps you need to excel
As a mentor, you will:
- boost student academic and professional success through personal and career support and guidance
- increase Latino & Hispanic student retention as sentiments of support, belonging, and affinity increase
- develop yourself as a leader by gaining new perspective and interpersonal skills
- provide your expertise and experiences
- be eligible for in-person mentorship-related cost reimbursement, like coffee, tea, etc.
- The first three-month pilot program ran from February 2019 - May 2019. For AY 19/20, the mentorship program is now a year-long program beginning from September 2019 - April 2020.
- Orientation for mentor and mentees will be held early in the semester around the date of September 18 or September 26 (based on group availability). Mentors and mentees are encourage to attend in order to meet one another and review program expectations and guidelines.
- Mentors will be paired up with 1-2 mentees and lead weekly check-ins via email or by phone, with a least one in-person monthly meeting.
- Mentors must log mentor/mentee meetings through an online form.
Applications to be a mentor and mentee for the upcoming academic year are due no later than August 31.
Mentors must be full-time faculty and staff and mentees must be full-time undergraduate students. Mentor and mentee pairings will be based on participants' goals, cultural interests, field of study, etc.