Mentorship represents a collaborative approach to professional and personal advancement, for both mentors and mentees. The AU Latino & Hispanic Faculty and Staff Affinity Group is proud to launch a pilot mentorship program with the support of an Inclusive Excellence Mini-Grant, to partner Hispanic, Latino, and Latinx students with similarly identified faculty and staff. In minority communities, professional networks remain underdeveloped. The purpose of this mentorship program is to build a community of connection that promotes personal growth and career development. While we are launching this program as a pilot, we hope that with engagement and support of our community, it will evolve into a year-round initiative.
The three-month pilot AU Latino & Hispanic Mentorship Program aims to:
- build a supportive bridge between Latino & Hispanic undergraduate students and Latino & Hispanic staff and faculty;
- foster inclusivity, excellence, and equity within the Latino & Hispanic student, staff, and faculty community through connectivity, visibility, guidance, and mentorship; and
- support the personal and professional growth of mentees and mentors, through in-person, head and heart dialogue.
As a mentee, you will:
- gain guidance from an AU professional aligned with your interests, passions, and goals
- engage and create collaborative opportunities for personal and professional growth
- explore strategies or steps you need to excel
As a mentor, you will:
- boost student academic and professional success through personal and career support and guidance
- increase Latino & Hispanic student retention as sentiments of support, belonging, and affinity increase
- develop yourself as a leader by gaining new perspective and interpersonal skills
- provide your expertise and experiences
- be eligible for in-person mentorship-related cost reimbursement, like coffee, tea, etc.
- The three-month pilot program ran from February 26th - May 15th. Applications for the upcoming academic year will open Summer/Fall 2019.
- Orientation for mentor and mentees will be held early in the semester. Mentors and mentees are encourage to attend in order to meet one another and review program expectations and guidelines.
- Mentors will be paired up with 1-2 mentees and lead weekly check-ins via email or by phone, with a least one in-person monthly meeting.
Applications to be a mentor and mentee for the upcoming academic year will open in Summer/Fall 2019.
Mentors will be paired up with 1-2 mentees and lead weekly check-ins via email or by phone, with a least one in-person monthly meeting.