If you are a participant in the AU medical plan, both Kaiser Permanente and CareFirst are offering waivers for expenses that are related to the diagnosis and treatment of COVID-19.
- Kaiser coronavirus/COVID-19: Learn how to protect yourself and get care
- Telemedicine and Video Calls: Kaiser members can schedule Video and Phone visits online at KP.org (Sign in, select Appointments)
- Advice Nurse: Call the Advice Nurse line at 1-800-777-7904
- For more updated information, visit kp.org/coronavirus.
Elimination of cost-sharing related to the Coronavirus
Kaiser Permanente of the Mid-Atlantic States will waive cost sharing for testing, diagnosis, and treatment of COVID-19. That means that members will not be billed for copays, coinsurances, or deductibles for services to test, diagnose, and treat COVID-19.
Drive-up testing locations
Kaiser Permanente offers drive-up testing at various locations for members who have a doctor’s order for the tests, in accordance with the latest Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidelines.
- South Baltimore Medical Center, MD
- Gaithersburg, MD
- Largo, MD
- Woodbridge, VA
- Tyson’s Corner, VA
- Capitol Hill Medical Center, DC
- Kensington, MD
- Manassas, VA
- White Marsh, MD
- Marlow Heights, MD
Expanding in-person services
Kaiser has expanded the availability of in-person primary care and certain specialty care visits using a phased approach. Safety protocols have been put in place at medical centers to prevent the spread of COVID-19, including greeters to welcome and prescreen all visitors. Masks are required for all members, visitors, and staff.
|State||Medical Center Locations|
|As of June 1*||As of June 22||As of July 6|
Nottingham Rehabilitation Center
*Centers continued to provide in-person visit, but as of June 1, Kaiser expanded the availability of in-person primary care and certain specialty care visits.
- CareFirst Coronavirus Resource Center
- Telemedicine: Options and resources for telemedicine are based on a provider's office capabilities. Your provider’s practice has been advised by CareFirst to use its own telemedicine capabilities (audio/video) during this time.
- Advice nurse: 1-800-535-9700
- Video calls: Visit carefirstvideovisit.com to register
for duration of pandemic
|Service||Cost Share Waiver
must be related to COVID-19?
|2/4/2020||Diagnostic test for COVID-19||YES||Member costs waived for deductibles, copays, and coinsurance||CareFirst/AU pays 100% up to the allowed amount, but member can be balance billed|
|2/4/2020||Visits associated with diagnostic testing, regardless of setting||YES||Member costs waived for deductibles, copays, and coinsurance||CareFirst/AU pays 100% up to the allowed amount, but member can be balance billed|
|2/4/2020||Treatment of COVID-19, regardless of setting||YES||Member costs waived for deductibles, copays, and coinsurance||CareFirst/AU pays 100% up to the allowed amount, but member can be balance billed|
|3/16/2020||CareFirst Video Visits||NO -
Applies to all services
|Member costs waived for deductibles, copays, and coinsurance||N/A - Care received through CareFirst Video Visit is considered in-network|
|3/16/2020||Telephone consultation with PCP, OB/GYN, family practice, pediatrics, nurse practitioner||NO -
Applies to all services
|Not subject to deductibles, copays, or coinsurance||Not covered|
Express Scripts for CareFirst Participants
Express Scripts is granting CVS and Walgreens (via their Walgreens Express™ delivery program) a limited out-of-network delivery exceptions and will permit these retail pharmacies to provide free home delivery of prescriptions to Express Scripts members in a manner that would otherwise be prohibited.
This agreement is solely due to the COVID-19 pandemic and will be in place for 30 days, upon which time it will be revisited by Express Scripts to determine if it is still necessary.
The exception went into place for CVS the week of March 16 and for Walgreens the week of March 23. All CVS and Walgreens retail locations have been notified.
How can a member request delivery from their CVS or Walgreens retail pharmacy?
Members can request delivery in the following ways:
- Mobile web: Accessible through the "Order Ready" text message when a prescription is ready for pickup. The member simply clicks the link and requests delivery. Member must enroll in text messages from CVS.
- CVS App: Similar to mobile web, but no text messaging requirement.
- Call your local pharmacy: Members should note that with this option, they may experience longer-than-average wait times.
Members must be enrolled in Walgreens Express™ delivery program. The member should opt-in to receive text messages. When the prescription is ready for pickup, the member will receive a text, which will offer them the option of delivery.
Important details about the CARES Act as it relates to your health care flexible spending account (FSA)
- Effective date: The bill is retroactively effective as of January 1, 2020.
- Eligible items: Thelist of eligible products that can be purchased using your health care FSA has been expanded to permanently include:
- Over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and medicines like cold medicines and fever reducers. These products no longer require a prescription to be reimbursed through a pre-tax account.
- Menstrual care products like pads, tampons, liners, cup sponge, or similar products.
- Merchants will need time to implement: With more than 20K new products to enter in their point-of-sale systems, merchants will likely need a little time, possibly until the end of April or beginning of May, to get their systems fully updated with the new list of eligible products.
Members can submit manual claims: In the meantime, CYC participants can submit manual claims for reimbursement if they purchase any of the newly added items. Additionally, they can re-submit previously denied claims for items purchased after January 1, 2020 that are now eligible as part of the CARES Act.
COVID-19 Benefits Email and Link Information
Following are key email, website, and phone information for our benefit plan vendors. For general questions about our benefits, please email email@example.com and your question will be routed to the benefits team member who can best assist.
For questions relating to health plan benefits or claims, telemedicine services, or nurse advice assistance.
Express Scripts (Rx plan with CareFirst)
Counseling and Emergency Loan Requests
For setting up a call with our FSAP counselor (Dale Rampell) or applying for an emergency loan.
- To connect with the FSAP counselor, email FSAP@american.edu
To connect with a BHS Care Coordinator, call 800-327-2251 or visit the MyBHS portal and enter username: AU to connect via Live Chat or request services through an online form
Emergency Loan Request
For questions about your retirement account, requesting a loan or withdrawal, or scheduling a one-on-one consultation with a retirement plan consultant.
For reporting a COVID-19 diagnosis, questions about a need for leave, or applying to Prudential for a leave that will go beyond two weeks.
Faculty/Staff member’s COVID-19 Diagnosis reporting to AU Employee Relations team
Short Term Disability for absence expected to go beyond 2 weeks
Contact to alert AU: firstname.lastname@example.org
Contact to open a claim with Prudential: 877-367-7781
Elder and Dependent Back Up Care Services
For setting up back up care for a child or adult dependent in order for you to work.
To request a leave donation
If you or a qualified family member, as defined in the Leave Share policy, has a flu-related illness, please contact Human Resources at 202-885-3836 or email@example.com for assistance with requesting leave donations.
Leave donations are available to:
- Full-time staff who have exhausted or is likely to exhaust their sick leave;
- Part-time staff are also eligible for leave donations under the COVID-19 circumstances.
Check your leave balances on the myAU portal.
Short term disability
If you have a serious illness expected to last more than 2 weeks, please contact Prudential to file a claim. Notify Human Resources of your need for leave and obtain detailed short term disability benefits information by calling 202-885-3836 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Bright Horizons® provides emergency back-up dependent care when you experience a break down in your regular care. Resources include a nationwide network of child care centers and in-home care agencies, and additional family support services.