We are excited that you are considering applying to be a member of our residence life team. The Resident Assistant position is considered to be one of the most important, influential, and rewarding leadership opportunities available to students.
Resident assistants (RA) are part-time undergraduate student staff members of Housing & Residence Life (HRL) and the University's Office of Campus Life. HRL believes that life in the residence halls provides students an important opportunity to complement their classroom learning experience. The RA fulfills a vital role in the residence hall system by helping students integrate learning experiences gained from both inside and outside of the classroom. The primary function of the RA is to facilitate interpersonal relationships and to create living situations that maximize the opportunities for students to learn and grow.
Review the full position description (PDF) for 2018-2019 RAs.
- Full time enrollment as an undergraduate (minimum 12 credits and a maximum of 17 per semester)
- 45 completed credit hours at time off application, 60 completed credit hours at start of employment (August 7)
- One (1) semester living in residence at American University
- Cumulative GPA at, or above, 2.75 and term GPA at, or above, 2.5 (GPA’s must be maintained from the date of application until the date of separation)
- Review the Resident Assistant position description for 2018-2019 RAs.
- Attend an information session (optional).
- Complete the online application, open October 17-25, 2018.
Although they are not required to apply, we welcome you to attend an information session to learn more about being an RA!
- Wednesday, October 17 at 12 p.m. - Hughes Formal
- Thursday, October 18 at 12 p.m. - Hughes Formal
- Friday, October 19 at 12 p.m. - Hughes Formal
- Monday, October 22 at 4:30 p.m. - Hughes Formal
- Tuesday, October 23 at 4:30 p.m. - Hughes Formal