To become a formally recognized club, all student organizations must:
- Comply with all applicable American University policies
- Adhere to the University's non-discrimination policy
- Demonstrate non-duplication of a mission or purpose of previously recognized AU student organization.
- Submit a complete roster of officers and members. (Each club must have a minimum of eight (8) members, with four (4) of those members consisting of a president, vice president, treasurer, and secretary). Executive board members must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA and be in good disciplinary standing to be eligible.
- Identify a Faculty or Staff club advisor: Who can be a Student Club Advisor? Any full-time member of the faculty, staff or administration is eligible to serve as the recognized advisor to the organization.
- Submit a club constitution
- Demonstrate benefit to the members, campus, and/or wider community
Registration for new clubs at American University will begin Oct. 1, 2019. Stay tuned for updates to the registration process.
Student Clubs must be renewed each academic year. The upcoming deadline for renewal is July 30, 2019. Follow the steps below to re-register your organization in Engage, CSI's new content management system.
- Type your club name into the search window on the Engage homepage
- Click on your club name
- Click "Manage Organization" on the top right corner
- Click the "Re-Registration This Organization" block under the club name
The AU Club Council (AUCC) is a recognized, chartered student governance organization directly funded from the undergraduate student activity fee to provide funding allocation for events and programming initiatives hosted by recognized undergraduate student clubs. The AUCC is dedicated to building stronger clubs at American University and supporting them with all the resources and expertise at our disposal. The AU Club Council provides funding to all recognized clubs on campus and helps clubs leaders grow. Visit www.auclubcouncil.com for more information about the Club Council.