Independent activities abroad?

All SIS graduate students who intend to undertake any academic-related activities abroad, either for credit or non-credit bearing, that is not arranged through the SIS Office of International Programs (OIP) must register this activity with OIP and SIS Graduate Advising.

This includes:

  • Internships
  • Research projects / independent study
  • Conferences
  • Students traveling abroad for an SIS practica course during the fall and spring semesters
  • Students traveling for the Boren Fellowship
  • Any other independent academic activity abroad


In order to obtain approval for the desired activity, course registration, and to be covered by the mandatory international travel insurance, students participating in any of the above-mentioned activities must complete the Graduate Global Program application. If the activity is registered for credit they must also complete the GGP Trip Info Form described below.

  • Online Graduate Global Program (GGP) registration. As you begin an application, select the term of your application based on when you begin your travel. For example, if you start your application in the fall, but will go abroad in spring, you should select the spring application term. Activities that span multiple semesters only require one Graduate Global Program application for the starting semester.
  • The GGP Trip Information Form is required for students who are completing an activity that is for credit or non-credit but for degree requirements (such as an internship or independent research). It includes details about your itinerary and requires signatures from an academic advisor and/or faculty supervisor. Please plan ahead to have a discussion with your advisors in order to obtain their signature. The form is located in the online GGP registration.

Please Note: Students participating in an SIS practica course during the fall or spring semesters do not need to receive signatures from their faculty or academic advisor.

As part of registering for the Graduate Global Program, students will be covered by AU's emergency international travel insurance. There are some restrictions regarding eligibility for this insurance (in particular, for AU students traveling to a country in which they hold citizenship). Please contact SIS Abroad to discuss your eligibility for the insurance if you have questions or concerns. 

The term of your application is based on when you begin your travel dates. For example, if your date of departure falls during the summer program application dates, you will submit your application for the summer term.


Application Deadlines

Spring: May 8

Summer: August 28

Fall: December 31

Apply Now