- Additional Positions at AU
- Director, Monroe C. Gutman Library, Harvard Graduate School of Education
- Graduate Certificate, TESOL, American University, Washington, DC, 2010
Master of Library Science (MLS), University of Maryland College Park, 2004
Bachelor of Arts (BA), University of Florida, 1999
- Favorite Spot on Campus
- Curriculum Materials Center, surrounded by the Larissa Gerstel Critical Literacy Collection
- Favorite Place in Washington DC
- National Gallery of Art, East Building
Alex Hodges is an adjunct faculty member within American University's School of Education (SOE). From 2008-2017, he was a SOE affiliate associate professor. Alex taught courses on educational technology or children's literature in SOE's teacher education program. From 2004-2017, Alex oversaw the collections and services of the American University Library's Curriculum Materials Center, which is co-located with the SOE on the 4th floor of AU's Spring Valley Building.
In 2004, Alex joined the AU faculty after previously working within library systems at the National Gallery of Art, the University of Maryland, College Park, and at the University of Florida. From 2013-2017, Alex was the University Library's associate director for instruction and research services. In this role, he managed the university's library instruction program and information literacy initiatives, as well as all research assistance services conducted online and in person.
In 2017, Alex left his full-time tenured faculty position at AU to become the Director and Librarian of the Monroe C. Gutman Library, and a Member of the Faculty of Education, at Harvard University's Graduate School of Education in Cambridge, MA.
- See Also
- EDU 619: Children's Literature: A Critical Literacy Perspective
- EDU 519: Uses of Technology in Education
- EDU 596: Social Media Literacy
- For the Media
- To request an interview for a news story, call AU Communications at 202-885-5950 or submit a request.
EDU-419 Child Lit: Crit Literacy Persp
American Library Association
Association of College & Research Libraries
Member, 2004-present; EBSS Member-at-Large, 2011-2013; Student Learning and Information Literacy Committee Chair, 2020-2021
American Educational Research Association
Society for Information Technology & Teacher Education
District of Columbia Library Association
National Council of Teachers of English