International Transfer Applicants

Follow Us On:

facebook icon twitter icon Instagram Icon

Request Information


  • International Undergraduate Admissions
    Fax: 202-885-6014

Mailing Address

A transfer applicant is anyone who has enrolled and begun study at a postsecondary institution after obtaining a secondary school diploma in the United States or in their home country.

Applicants apply online using the Common Application, available on the link to the right. There is a U.S.$70 fee for all applications.

How to Apply

To be considered for admission to AU as a transfer student, your application and all supporting documents listed below must be received by the appropriate deadline:

  • Completed Common Application form, including essay, CV/resume
  • Academic records with official transcripts and certified English translations, if applicable, for EACH postsecondary institution attended
  • One or two letters of recommendation (optional)
  • Demonstrated English proficiency
  • Completed AU Certification of Finances form, available at, showing at least US$59,109 for first year of study and living expenses **
  • Bank letter showing at least US$59,109 for first year of study and living expenses *
  • Application fee of U.S.$70

* Only for non-U.S. citizens who will need a student visa (F or J).

Transfer Application Deadlines

Fall (August) Semester

  • Priority deadline for all students seeking merit awards: March 1 (preferred)
  • Final deadline for students living outside the United States: May 1
  • Final deadline for students living within the United States: July 1

Spring (January) Semester

  • Spring (January) Semester deadline is November 1

: Late or incomplete application packets will significantly affect your admissions decision, and may disqualify you from merit scholarship consideration.

Submitting Your Application and Supporting Documents

Important: Please use a courier service (and keep your tracking number) to send your complete application packet to:

Undergraduate Admissions
Office of Enrollment
3201 New Mexico Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8001
Tel: +1-202-885-6000

If you have any questions, please contact

Application Form

Complete the application carefully. Please make sure to include your full name (exactly as it is spelled on your passport), date of birth, complete educational history, country of birth, citizenship, current mailing address and a permanent address outside of the United States, even if you currently live or study in the United States.

Application Essay

Address one of the essay topics suggested in the application. Be sure to take the time to prepare a strong essay that reflects your ability to organize and express your thoughts clearly.

Your Academic Records

If you have completed less than one year of full-time academic study at a postsecondary institution in the United States or overseas at the time of application (i.e. you have less than 24 semester credits per the U.S. system of higher education), please submit all of the following:

  1. Your secondary school diploma and academic credentials (examination results and certificates; transcripts for grades 9, 10, 11 and 12; etc.)
  2. Your academic credentials or transcripts from each postsecondary institution attended

If you have completed at least one year of full-time postsecondary academic study at the time of application, submit only your postsecondary academic credentials. No secondary school academic records are required.

Please have academic records from each secondary and/or postsecondary school you attended sent directly from those schools to American University. These records should be submitted in their original language and accompanied by official English translations if applicable. You may submit certified or notarized copies of your original official transcripts if your country issues only one copy of your academic documents.

Contact with any questions regarding submission of documents.

Advanced Credit for Postsecondary Coursework

Courses completed at accredited postsecondary institutions within or outside the United States may be eligible to receive transfer credit.

Please visit AU's Transfer Credit Guidelines site for more information.

Advanced Credit for IB, AP, A Level, Abitur, French Bac, CAPE Secondary Exams

Students may be eligible to receive advanced credit for exams passed during secondary school. If you took IB, A level, AP, Arbitur, CAPE, or French Baccalaureate exams while in secondary school, visit for full details on AU exam policies.

Letter of Recommendation

One letter of recommendation for transfer students is required. You will be required to select and assign at least one Academic Evaluator within the Common Application. If you request recommendations outside of the Common Application, they should appear on official letterhead and include your full name and Social Security number (or date of birth) and be sent directly to American University.

English Proficiency

Course work at AU requires strong skills in the English language and academic preparedness. All applicants (including U.S. citizens) whose first language is not English are required to take one of the following exams and achieve the indicated scores to demonstrate a satisfactory level of English proficiency.

Please submit one of the following*:

  • TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language)
    1. Internet-based test score of 80 or higher
    2. Paper-based test score of 550 or higher
  • IELTS (International English Language Testing System)
    1. Composite score of 6.5 or higher 6.5
  • Pearson Test of English (PTE)
    1. Score of 53 or higher

* To be considered competitive, a 90 iBT score or above is recommended. Sub-scores for each section of the TOEFL should be 20 or higher. IELTS sub-scores should be 6.0 or above.

Please arrange for scores to be sent directly from the testing agency. (TOEFL Code: 5007)

* International applicants transferring from U.S. postsecondary institutions who have completed two university-level English writing courses (non ESL) with grades of C or better at an AG-rated, regionally accredited college or university, or with grades of B or better at an AP-rated college, are exempt from submitting scores from these examinations. However, AU reserves the right to request TOEFL, IELTS or PTE scores from all applicants.

AU Certificate of Finances (AU CFIS) for International Students

Applicants who required a student or exchange visa (F or J) must submit to the International Admissions Office the AU CFIS form and a bank letter, each showing proof of at least U.S. $59,109 for your first year of studies and living expenses.

Application packets without the AU CFIS form and bank letter will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.

These and all other supporting documents must be received by the appropriate application deadline.

Transfer-In Form: If you are currently studying in the United States on an F or J visa and decide to attend AU, you will be required to submit the “Immigration Transfer-In Form” before your AU I-20 or DS -2019 can be issued. 

Visit for the AU Cost Guide, sample bank letters, and Transfer-In forms.

Common Application

You must use the Common Application to apply to AU.

Common Application Site

Common Application

Larger Common Application Logo

You must use the Common Application to apply to AU.

Common Application Web Site

Related Forms

AU Code Numbers

SAT I & SAT II: 5007
ACT: 0648
TOEFL: 5007
AP: 5007

Ways to Apply

Meet Our International Students

Meet some of our current AU international and US Global Nomad Students.

Student Profiles

Immigration Transfer-In Form

Immigration Transfer-In Form: To be completed by admitted students who are currently studying in the U.S. on an F or J visa and who decide to attend AU.

Download the form


EducationUSA logo

The Department of State provides support to a network of Educational Advising/Information Centers around the world.

Visit educationUSA

International Student and Scholar Services

AU continues to value international exchange and welcomes students from all over the world.

More on ISSS