At-large board members serve a two-year term, following which they may reapply for a second term. Considering applying to the Alumni Board? Along with the application for membership, a full resume, a professional bio, and at least one letter of recommendation are required. Applications are accepted each fall for service beginning the following calendar year. Applications are currently closed.
Responsibilities of an At-Large AUAB member include:
- Attending and actively participating in all AUAB meetings (four per calendar year)
- Active participation as a member of an AUAB committee or task force
- Being a knowledgeable ambassador for AU and the Alumni Association
- Attending All-American Weekend and other major university events when possible
- Attending regional Alumni Association and university events in your community/region
- Initiating outreach to and seeking engagement with fellow alumni through programs and events
- Responsibilities of AU’s Alumni Board members include making a gift of at least $2,000 during each two-year term.
Alumni Board nominations are accepted each fall. Along with an application form, applicants must submit a full résumé/bio and at least one letter of recommendation.
The Nominations Committee reviews applications each year based on the following criteria:
- prior involvement and philanthropic support
- answers to essay questions (included in the application form)
- ability to contribute to the board's geographic, ethnic, gender, and occupational diversity, as well as diversity by AU school/college
At the nominations committee's discretion, candidates may take part in telephone interviews to discuss their applications.
The nominations committee presents slates of nominees to the full Alumni Board in early December for approval.
Applicants will be notified regarding the committee's decisions by mid-December, and new members are expected to attend and participate in the first meeting of each calendar year, held in January.
Thank you for your interest in the American University Alumni Board!