Get Help Now

**If you are in an emergency situation, call 911 immediately.
Call 202-885-3636 for on-campus law enforcement and medical assistance.**

If you or someone you know has experienced sex- or gender- based discrimination, sexual violence, dating or domestic violence, or stalking the below resources are available to you. It is important to know that some resources will differ if the incident occurred several weeks or months ago. For example, certain medical services or evidence collection exams are more effective immediately following an incident. Choosing to utilize any of the below resources is an individual decision and a resource that best serves you may not be the resource another person would choos to utilize. You may use as many of the following resources as you need.

Contact Law Enforcement

If this is an emergency, call 911 immediately (202-885-3636 on-campus).

Law enforcement can provide immediate intervention in emergency situations, document the situation, and/or initiate a criminal investigation. If you are on-campus University Police, who are sworn law enforcement officers, will respond directly to assist. University Police will work with Metropolitan Police Department (DC) or other local law enforcement agencies, as appropriate, if you request a criminal investigation. University Police also provide victim's services, such as assisting with Civil Protection Order requests, to support individuals who have experience sexual violence, dating/domestic violence, or stalking.

University Police/AU Public Safety
202-885-2527 (non-emergency)
202-885-3636 (emergency)
24 Hours
Don Myers Building terrace level (East Campus)

Seek Medical Attention (confidential)

The DC SANE program is located at Medstar Washington Hospital Center (WHC), 110 Irving Street, NW DC, 20010. To contact the DC SANE program and notify them that you need an exam, call the DC Victim Hotline 844-4-HELP-DC (844-443-5732).  Services provided through the DC SANE program are available 24/7, 365 days a year at no cost to patients. Reports to law enforcement are not required to access DC SANE services. 

Find out more about confidential & non-confidential resources.

Report the Incident to the University

You are encouraged to report sexual violence, relationship violence, stalking, and other misconduct to the University. Reporting to the University provides you with the option of addressing the incident under the University's Title IX Sexual Harassment Policy or the Discrimination and Non-Title IX Sexual Misconduct Policy. Making a report also allows the University to provide any available interim protective measures such as academic accommodations, housing changes, changes to class or work schedules, and no contact directives. When you make a report, you are not required to decide on any particular course of action.

To communicate with the Office of Equity and Title IX to submit a report, file a complaint, or identify a concern regarding sexual harassment or sexual misconduct of any type or other issues of harassment or discrimination, please submit a report online or email You can also reach the Office by calling 202-885-8080. You may bring a support person along with you to any meetings with the University related to the report.

Seek Confidential Support

American University has designated the following confidential resources to support community members who may have experienced sex- or gender-based discrimination or harassment, sexual or relationship violence, and stalking. Community members who have experienced any of these are highly encouraged to seek support.

Confidential Resources for Students


Victim Advocacy Services - Victim Advocacy Services | 202-885-3500 | book an appointment

Counseling Services - Psychological Center | 202-885-3500

Medical Services - Student Health Center | 202-885-3380 | 

Ordained Chaplain - Kay Spiritual Life Center  | 202-885-3336 |


Confidential Resource for Staff and Faculty

Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP):
Faculty and Staff Assistance Program Page

Because of the confidentiality afforded to these relationships, community members should know that these confidential resource persons are not in a position to report the discrimination to University officials or to intervene to end the misconduct. To ensure University involvement, a report should be submitted to the Title IX Office or appropriate Title IX official.