The FSIT Lab is a value-added teaching and learning tool to enhance students' experience that is paramount to their future work and career.
All workshops and training sessions in the FSIT Lab include discipline-specific instruction and specialized education for students to:
- Sharpen financial skills
- Deepen business knowledge
- Access in-depth research in accounting, finance, economics, and allied fields
- Gain a competitive advantage for internships and jobs
- Prepare for the professional world
These training sessions and workshops illustrate how to access existing knowledge within various outlets while utilize industry-accepted software applications and databases. Additionally, training will help students to articulate a project agenda and critically evaluate analysis and research reports.
Available Training Sessions
Whether you just want to get started or fine tune your skills, the FSIT Lab will help you with a variety of training opportunities such as:
Bloomberg is one of the premier financial databases that provides extensive coverage of the global financial markets. The ability to access data quickly and to model the data in order to make crucial decisions is vital to all business professionals. Familiarity with Bloomberg terminals will give you a competitive advantage in gaining an elite internship or a job.
Bloomberg Jump Start
Goal: To provide you with knowledge, practical skills and experience in Bloomberg products. This class covers database structure and commands with a focus on real-time and historic pricing, fundamental data, customized analytics etc.
- Bloomberg Log On/Log Off
- Most Helpful Keys
- Data Content/Coverage
- News Functions
- Equity Functions
- Debt Functions
- Currency Functions
Bloomberg Equity Valuation
Goal: To help you use Bloomberg power to access information and perform analysis on stocks. This seminar also focuses on advanced equity analytical functions that estimate, from past data, the projected price movement of a stock relative to that of an index or another stock, the intrinsic value of a stock, the risk of bankruptcy, also the implications of changes in capital structure.
- Bloomberg Log On/Log Off
- Most Helpful Keys
- Examine company fillings and "red-line" documents
- Analyze benchmark statistics and trace company and peer performance
- Perform a financial analysis on a company
- Use earnings estimates for a company in one place so that you can quickly gauge market expectations
- Analyze an issuer's financial operations
- Research equity analyst recommendations
Bloomberg Foreign Exchange Market Analytics
Goal: To introduce you to the FX price discovery and functions related to Spot, FWD, Cross rates and volatilities as well as to ways how to rank currencies to find cross currency investment opportunities.
- Bloomberg Log On/Log Off
- Most Helpful Keys
- Data Content/Coverage
- FOREX Market Characteristics
- FX Cross Rates, SPOT, FWD, BID-ASK Spread
- FX Forecasts
- Libor Historical Data
- Covered Interest Rate Arbitrage
Thomson Reuters Eikon Investment Management Analytics
Goal: To demonstrate how to enhance the equity and bond valuation process by incorporating Thomson's proprietary ratings and value-added content for making better and faster investment decisions.
- General presentation of Thomson Reuters Eikon platform
- Monitor analyst and corporate executive activity and assess Thomson's take on stocks in your portfolio or a specific industry/index
- Search and generate screening strategies for bonds and credit default swaps
- Track current market pricing for selected securities
- Assess an issuer, valuation ratios, earnings forecasts, and related equity information
- Import, edit portfolios, create portfolios
- Create, save alerts on events, transcripts, conference calls
Thomson Portfolio Analytics is a comprehensive solution that provides industry-leading performance attribution, sophisticated portfolio profiling and powerful risk analysis.
- Use Thomson Reuters Eikon for screening stocks based on a set of criteria
- Manipulate and model the portfolio using the Thomson Reuters Excel Add-In
- Import and edit portfolios in Thomson Reuters Eikon platform
- Analyze a portfolio: profiling, risk, return, attribution
- Show changes in principal value for your portfolio, summary data for your portfolio and individual security performance.
Thomson Reuters Eikon is a powerful financial analysis database providing a wide range of data for over 80,000 internationally quoted companies. It offers you quick and easy access to quotes, earnings estimates, financial fundamentals, market moving news, transaction data, corporate filings, ownership profiles and research from industry-leading sources:
- Thomson I/B/E/S
- Thomson Worldscope
- Thomson SDC
- Thomson First Call
Goal: To discover how to use Thomson Reuters Eikon company analysis module to:
- Analyze company financial data, share price data and forecast estimates
- Locate and download company filings including annual reports, 10-K, 20-F and IPO reports with links to image documents
- Analyze company performance against standard/customized peer groups
- Analyze performance and constituents of international stock exchange indices
- Analyze company mergers & acquisitions activity
- News: Global News Coverage Based on Industry or Company
- Screening; Quick and Advanced Search
In addition to company analysis, Thomson Reuters Eikon has modules that provide data on ownership, corporate deals, which includes mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and initial public offerings (IPOs).
Thomson Reuters Eikon Peer Ratio Analysis
This Thomson Reuters Eikon training session (Comparables mode) gives you the ability to evaluate, analyze and edit pre-built sets of companies and create reports on items, such as: per share data, profitability, performance, liquidity analysis, earnings growth, comparative financials, valuation metrics, guidance list.
Goal: To demonstrate how to do a peer ratio analysis by pulling live data directly into Excel from Thomson Reuters Eikon as well as how to look for a clear progression from analyzing the historical behavior of key ratios relevant for the firm to those of the industry.
- General presentation of Thomson Reuters Eikon
- Companies: Overview, Prices, Worldscope data, Estimates, Research Reports
- Filings: Overview and Links to Image Documents
- Peers: Comparable Reports - Financial, Market & EPS Comparisons
- Excel Add-in; Building Reports
Many business decisions are based on deterministic figures that have been calculated from an analysis of some kind. Because point estimates are very dangerous, to fully understand the results we need an estimate of the uncertainty related to those figures.
The learning objectives of this training session are to understand how to use the Monte Carlo simulation to carry out uncertainty and risk analysis modeling projects.
With this knowledge students will:
- Have a better picture of the project's risk and rewards
- Identify those variables that have the greatest effect on the outcome
- Measure the effects of different scenarios
- Determine the likelihood of the worst scenarios
- Increase the probability of making better decisions
Any analysis encompasses four steps:
- Developing a model by defining the problem and building a model in an Excel worksheet format.
- Identifying uncertainty in variables in your Excel worksheet and specifying their possible values with
- probability distributions, and identifying the uncertain worksheet results you want analyzed.
- Analyzing the model with simulation to determine the range and probabilities of all possible outcomes for the results of your worksheet.
- Making a decision based on the results provided and personal preferences.
ARGUS models all aspects of the real estate life cycle from initial acquisition, through development, to lease up, and disposition. This software provides the complete solution for managing and growing your commercial real estate portfolio. ARGUS can also be used to value assets, view partnership structures and analyze debt financing.
Bloomberg is a professional on-line database that provides real-time and historic trading data, analytics and research, and news for global financial markets. The markets include but are not limited to government securities, corporate securities, mortgage, money-market, indices, currency, commodities and equities.
Why use Bloomberg?
Bloomberg is used to monitor the news on a company, industry, economy. It finds stock prices and price information on commodities and currencies, as well as members of S&P 500 or other equity indices. Bloomberg is also used to build and maintain stock/bond portfolios.
The Bloomberg terminals are located in the FSIT Lab and the Mini Lab (Room T-54.)
To launch Bloomberg, click the "BLOOMBERG.INK" icon on the desktop or:
Start > All Programs >Bloomberg.
After launching Bloomberg, you will see the above page, which asks you to login and provides customer support phone numbers.
Create an Account
There are 5 steps to create an account:
- Choose a language
- Fill in your contact information
- Choose your interests and answer if you have used
- Choose your user name and password
- Verify your information you entered in the previous steps
Now you have created your account and can login, but to get the full functionality, you have to wait until you get a phone call from a Bloomberg representative. Usually, you just need to wait a few minutes.
There are three ways to logoff from Bloomberg:
- Typing OFF
- Right click and choose EXIT then OK
- Press the red DEFAULT key on the keyboard
SDC Platinum lets you access Securities Data Company's online databases of financial transactions. It enables you to identify comparable transactions, monitor markets and industries, prospect for new business and evaluate advisors.
SDC provides the following modules:
- Global New Issues
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Corporate Governance
- Corporate Restructuring
- Securities Trading
- Industry Specific
- Global Public Finance
Capital IQ is an information and research platform for students who are pursuing their business degrees. Capital IQ helps students reduce time spent on coursework and interview-related research and analysis and broaden their universe of potential career opportunities. It is used by over 2,000 leading financial institutions, advisory firms, corporations and universities.
- 47,000 public companies
- 12,000 private capital firms
- 1,000,000 professionals
- 370,000 transactions
- 822,000 private companies
Thomson ONE.com Investment Banking allows asset managers and research analysts to evaluate securities and analyze their portfolios with a solution that combines real-time market data, referential content such as research and estimates, and corporate events, transcripts and company guidance with portfolio analytics and tools in one complete platform.
- Financial data on over 70,000 active and inactive companies globally
- Key information to quickly understand all facets of a public company including key ratios, capital structure, latest deals, top holders, events, plus credit ratings from S&P and Moody's (where available)
- Data for over one million private companies globally
- Private company profiles including business descriptions, private equity investors and fund names, key executives and investment round details
Ownership Tear Sheets
- Quickly assess the ownership breakdown of a company with key metrics like float
- Review top investors and click through to profiles
Deals Tear Sheets
- A quick overview of recent deals including M&A, bond and equity issuance, and syndicated loan transactions
- Banking and corporate relationships: easily understand a corporation's banking relationships across all asset classes
Thomson Reuters Eikon is your gateway to finding Thomson Reuters data and news, pre-built screens, and much more …all in an intuitive browser-based interface.
Upon launching the application, the home screen below will provide a snapshot of the current market as well as a breakdown of asset classes and popular links.
In a single view, with Eikon you have access to:
- Data from more than 400 exchanges and OTC-traded markets and over 70 direct exchange feeds
- Deep liquidity pools, with over 80 providers and more than 1,300 institutional clients
- FX market pricing from over 2,000 contributing sources in 175 currencies
- Free access to the industry's largest and fully compliant instant messaging and chat network
- Unbiased Reuters news, commentary & analysis
- Industry-specific, compliant communities and forums led by Reuters editorial teams, to debate and share news & analysis
- Specialist equity analytics and research management tools
- Expert commodities research & forecasting data
- Industry-leading fundamentals covering more than 99% of the world's market cap
- Estimates with more than with 40+ years of collection experience, from over 930 brokers and covering
- 22,000+ companies
- Finding information is as easy as A, B, C.
WRDS (Wharton Research Data Services) is a gateway to financial, accounting, banking, economics, management, and marketing data accessible through a single web-based interface provided by the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Kogod's subscription includes access to Standard Poor’s Compustat Global and Compustat North America, as well as to CRSP’s daily and monthly stocks.
Compustat North America
Standard & Poor's Compustat North America provides the annual and quarterly Income Statement, Balance Sheet, Statement of Cash Flows, and supplemental data items on most publicly held companies in the United States and Canada. Financial data items are collected from a wide variety of sources including news wire services, news releases, shareholder reports, direct company contacts, and quarterly and annual documents filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission. Compustat files also contain information on aggregates, industry segments, banks, market prices, dividends, and earnings. Depending upon the data set, coverage may extend as far back as 1950 through the most recent year-end.
Center for Research In Security Prices
The Center for Research in Security Prices (CRSP) maintains the most comprehensive collection of security price, return, and volume data for the NYSE, AMEX and Nasdaq stock markets. Additional CRSP files provide stock indices, beta- and cap-based portfolio, treasury bond and risk-free rates, and mutual fund databases.
Software for risk and decision analysis that works with Excel to provide detailed "what-if?" analysis in spreadsheet models. Widely used in operations analysis, risk management and corporate finance.
@RISK performs risk analysis using Monte Carlo simulation to show you many possible outcomes and tells you how likely they are to occur. This means you can judge which risks are worth taking and which ones to avoid, allowing for the best decision making under uncertainty.
In addition, the FSIT Lab offers the following resources for business use:
Statistical Analysis Packages
The lab offers the following statistical analysis packages:
The following information technology and management software is available in the lab:
- MS Access - Database program
- MS Excel - Spreadsheet software
- MS Project - Project management software
- MS Visio - Microsoft software product for creating a wide variety of business and technical drawings.
- Dreamweaver - Web design package
- Expert Choice - Collaboration and decision-support software
- Certiprep - MS Office training and testing software
- iQsystem Exams - MS Office certification exam
- LINDO - Optimization Modeling Software for Linear, Nonlinear, and Integer Programming
- POM - Product operation management software package
- Claritas Consumer Point - Geo-demographic marketing research
- DirectRT - Reaction time measuring program for lab experiments
- MarkStrat - Online learning software for strategic marketing
- MediaLab - Questionnaires and multi-media experiments