As an intern or overnight conference guest, enjoy the numerous resources available during your stay at American University.
While staying at American University, guests will have access to countless on-campus resources. To make the most of your stay, browse our brief guide to services. Should you have any questions during your stay, talk to the Conference Assistant at the front desk of your building or call the UCGS office at 202-885-8247.
No matter where you find yourself on campus, AU offers a number of diverse and nutritional dining options, listed below. A more extensive list with daily dining hours can be found here.
- The Terrace Dining Room (TDR), located at the Mary Graydon Center.
- Subway, located in the Butler Pavilion tunnel.
- Eagle's Nest P.O.D. Market, located in the Butler Pavilion tunnel.
- Starbucks, located in the Butler Pavilion tunnel.
- East Campus P.O.D., located in Constitution Hall on the East Campus Commons.
In an effort to decrease the carbon footprint on campus, we strongly encourage the use of public transportation. However, if you require parking on campus this summer, please keep the following in mind:
- Monthly parking permits need to be purchased in advance from Parking and Commuter Services. Any special requests or handicap parking permits must be arranged by Parking and Commuter Services. All final requests for parking permits are due no less than two weeks prior to the start date of your conference program.
- If looking to park short-term, metered parking is available at the School of International Service (SIS), Katzen Arts Center, Spring Valley Building (SVB), and the East Campus surface lot. The day rate is $16.00 per day or $2.00 per hour. Pay-As-You-Go machines accept cash and major credit cards and are located in the elevator lobbies of SIS, Katzen, SVB, and at the entrance to the East Campus lot.
- All vehicles are required to park in designated parking lots. Parking in front of buildings is only approved for loading and unloading purposes only.
- Directions to American University and the School of International Services and the Katzen Center parking lots are located at american.edu/maps.
Metro Rail & Metro Bus
Located a short walk or free AU shuttle ride away from main campus, the Tenleytown/AU Metro stop connects guests to the most traveled subway line in DC. Metro provides service throughout the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Northern Virginia. To plan a trip, visit www.wmata.com.
AU Shuttle Service
AU offers a free shuttle service to all summer guests. Our shuttles service the Tenleytown Metro station, the Washington College of Law, main campus, and other convenient stops.
Get more shuttle information, including GPS location of shuttles, online at http://www.american.edu/finance/facilities/Shuttle.cfm.
Taxis and Rideshare
Rideshare services such as Lyft and Uber are readily available throughout the city, however, we recommend taxis if you are in an unfamiliar area, especially at night. You should save a couple of taxi service numbers in your phone so you can call them when needed. It is important to know where you are to order a taxi. A few options in DC are:
- Red Cab DC: (202) 285-1632
- Taxi Transportation Service: (202) 398-0500
- Yellow Taxi Services: (202) 583-1650
Your guest card is automatically enrolled in American University's EagleBucks program, allowing payment for laundry, vending machines, campus stores, and eateries both on and off-campus through your guest card. Funds can be conveniently added at any of the following value stations on-campus:
- Anderson Hall Lobby
- Bender Library (lower level)
- Mary Graydon Center (near the ATM on the first floor)
- McDowell Hall Lobby
Click here to see all vendors who accept EagleBucks
Crime, Fire, and Medical Emergencies
For any on-campus emergency requiring police, fire, or medical response, call Public Safety’s emergency number at (202) 885-3636. For off-campus emergencies, dial 911.
University Police and Security
University police are commissioned law enforcement officers of the District of Columbia. On duty 24 hours a day, they have full investigative and arrest authority on campus. Officers respond to all reported emergencies - crime, fire, medical, or other - and coordinate with D.C. fire and police departments. They regularly patrol campus grounds and buildings and maintain close contact with residence hall staff to ensure privacy and security. You may request a campus escort by contacting Public Safety.
- Public Safety Non-Emergency: (202) 885-2527
- Public Safety Emergency: (202) 885-3636
RAVE Guardian Safety App
The Rave Guardian Campus Safety App transforms mobile phones into personal safety devices. To download the app, please visit www.american.edu/finance/publicsafety/Crime-Prevention-Programs.cfm
Emergency Evacuation Procedure
Evacuation procedures are posted on the back of your residence hall room door. If you hear the fire alarms going off you must evacuate immediately.
To report a maintenance or housekeeping issue, please notify the Conference Assistant at the front desk of your complex immediately so that a member of the facilities staff is able to attend to it as soon as possible.
Campus Emergency: 202-885-3636
Campus Non-Emergency: 202-885-2527
Off-Campus Emergency: 911