AU students are eligible to take courses at other Consortium universities in DC through the Consortium of Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area.
- Consortium registration is limited to courses that are not offered at AU.
- Courses taken through the Consortium are treated as AU courses for registration, billing, financial aid, transcript and GPA purposes.
- All consortium courses will appear on your AU transcript with the consortium school code and course number (e.g. GWU-500).
- Consortium registration is available during the fall, spring and summer semesters.
- SIS limits graduate students to no more than two consortium courses during their MA program.
- Signing the Consortium Registration Form means that you have read, understood and have agreed to all of the university policies on the reverse of the form.
- Download and complete the Consortium Registration Form.
- Obtain permission in writing from the instructor for the consortium course and attach it to the Consortium Registration Form. A printed email is acceptable.
- If the course is offered in another department (ECON, HIST, etc.) at the visited University, you must obtain the approval of the Department Chair/Dean of the equivalent department at AU, confirming that the course is not offered at AU. If the course is offered in International Affairs/Studies at the visited University, confirmation that the course is not offered at AU is verified by the SIS Graduate Advising office. You may need program director approval if you are seeking to substitute a consortium course for a required course in your MA program. Please check with your advisor with any questions about approvals.
- Submit the form and attached permission(s) to the SIS Graduate Advising Office before the end of the Add/Drop period for both schools.
- Once approved, SIS Graduate Advising will forward your registration materials to the Registrar's office for processing.Please be aware that consortium registrations are not processed until the week before the semester of registration begins.
Consortium Universities of the Washington Metropolitan Area (course schedules*):
- George Mason University
- George Washington University
- Howard University
- University of Maryland, College Park
- Catholic University
- Georgetown University
- A complete list of Consortium Universities can be found here
- Note:Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) of Johns Hopkins University is NOT part of the Consortium.
*Consortium Universities use different course numbering systems. Please ensure that your chosen course is graduate level.
* Not all courses may be available for registration based on departmental restrictions or prerequisites.For example, many courses offered in the Security Studies program at Georgetown are limited to students in that program only.
Last updated 30 October 2014