FOR ACADEMIC CREDIT INTERSHIPS: Starting fall 2013, all students completing domestic or international internships for academic credit must register for an internship course (See Schedule of Classes for more information, including instructors.)
The internship course will provide students the opportunity to reflect on their internship experience, plan their career goals, and improve networking techniques. To register, students should fill out the internship registration forms at the link above and return them to SIS Grad Advising. Students do not need to obtain faculty approval to register for an internship course. Questions about registration should be directed to the Graduate Advising office. Questions about the course should be directed to the relevant instructor (see Schedule of Classes).
- SIS-091: Non-credit internship taking place entirely within the United States
- SIS-096: Non-credit internship with any international travel component
- SIS-691: For-credit internship taking place entirely within the United States
- SIS-692: For-credit internship with any international travel component
RequirementsStudents are responsible for finding their own internships. For internship resources, visit the Career Center. All registered internships must:
- Take place between the first and last day of the semester in which it is registered. A 3 credit internship for academic creditand all non-credit internships require at least 200 hours of service. Students seeking to register a for-credit internship for fewer than 3 credits should consult their academic advisor.
- Be at least 85% substantive in nature (e.g., research, report writing, etc.)
- Be relevant to a student’s program of study.
- For-credit internships: Students choosing to register an internship for academic credit are required to register for an SIS internship course, which is registered for a letter grade (see Schedule of Classes for further course information).
- Non-credit internships: Internships registered for non-credit to fulfill the professional experience requirement do not require a faculty advisor or academic work plan, and are registered pass/fail.
- Internships with any international travel component require:
- The Graduate Global Practicum (GGP) form (pdf)
- A Health & Safety Orientation completed via the Career Center (202-885-1804, email@example.com)
- Complete ALL REQUIRED SPACES on the Internship Registration forms (and GGP forms as necessary).
- For-credit internships: 1) Have your internship site supervisor confirm your duties on the Internship Info Form; 2) Indicate for which internship course section/instructor you wish to register and the number of credits; 3) Sign the forms; 4) Submit the forms (including the GGP if applicable) to the Graduate Advising office. Your academic advisor will obtain the faculty supervisor and Department Chair/Dean signatures and submit the forms to the Registrar's office for processing on your behalf.
- Non-credit internships: 1) Have your internship site supervisor confirm your duties on the Internship Info Form; 2) Sign the forms; 3) Submit the forms (including the GGP if applicable) to the Graduate Advising office. Your academic advisor will obtain the faculty supervisor and Department Chair/Dean signatures and submit the forms to the Registrar's office for processing on your behalf.
- Deadline: Registration deadlines are listed on the University Academic Calendar. If the internship is the only academic credits for which you plan to register in a semester, the deadline to initially register without a late fee is the Friday before the first day of classes. Tuition charged for for-credit internships is the same as the normal tuition rate. There is no cost for non-credit internships.
International Students on F-1 or J-1 Visas
- An International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) staff member must sign your Consent and Release Form.
- F-1 Visa students are required to complete Curricular Practical Training paperwork for any non-credit internships. Discuss with your ISSS advisor or click here and select the Employment link for more information.
Students using a current or prior job, or an internship completed prior to Fall 2012, to fulfill their professional experience requirement: Download the Professional Experience Certification form [pdf].
Last Updated 10 March 2014