How to Help a Student in Distress

During the course of your work or life at the university, you may encounter a student who is in emotional distress or academic trouble. If you know a student in distress, you may be able to help. Remember you can always reach out to AU Protocall services, (202) 885-7979 for immediate support and consultation about concerns related to your student. 

Faculty, Advisors, and Staff

The Center for Well-Being can consult with faculty, academic advisors, and staff on how to support students in distress. Feel free to consult with a center clinician about your particular situation by calling x3500. Faculty, staff and academic advisors may also call AUProtocall services at 202-885-7979 and the CARE Network if concerned about a student.

Please be aware that clinicians are first responsible to their clients and cannot agree ahead of time to keep third party consultations confidential. 

"Support Services" Blurb for Your Handout or Syallabus

If you would like to let your students know about the well-being and psychological services available to them, you can include this blurb in your course syllabus or program handout:

The Center for Well-Being Programming and Psychological Services (202-885-3500, MGC 214/Hughes Hall 105) offers psychological services and well-being consultations regarding personal concerns, wellness resource information, and connections to off-campus mental health providers.

Requests for Relief from Academic Requirements

The Center for Well-Being Programs and Psychological Services does not document or arrange accommodations for psychological disabilities as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). This function is served by the Academic Support and Access Center (ASAC) office. The university is committed to ensuring accessibility for all qualified students with disabilities to university programs and activities. Students with a psychological disability may contact the ASAC to arrange for documentation of a disability and for appropriate accommodations.

DC confidentiality laws require a student's written permission in order for the Center for Well-Being Programs and Psychological Services to share administrative or treatment information with anyone, including university personnel, regarding a student's contacts with the Well-Being Center. This includes both verbal and written communications. Authorization forms are available at the Well-Being Center.

Center for Well-Being Programs and Psychological Services clinicians do not adjudicate academic matters, such as whether a student should or should not be granted academic relief -- that decision is made by the relevant faculty/advisor/staff in accordance with university policies.