You are here: American University Student Affairs Dean of Students Parents & Families

Welcome AU Parents & Families

An informed, engaged, and supportive family plays an instrumental role in a student's academic success. At AU, we're committed to keeping you informed and helping you find the answers and guidance you're looking for.

To help you on this journey, the Office of Family and Parent Engagement is a single point of contact dedicated to the needs of parents and families. Reach out to the team at if you have questions, and stay up-to-date through the active, informative AU Parents and Family Facebook page and by signing up for AU's Family Update newsletter.

FAQs from Eagle Families:

How can I access my student's information, such as accounts or educational records?

Parents and guardians may be granted access to make payments and view account activity. To protect student privacy, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) requires us to obtain student permission before sharing educational records. Details on obtaining access to a student portal are available through AU Central.

Where can my student receive academic support (e.g., tutoring, coaching)?

Whether it's academic coaching, supplemental instruction for challenging classes, support for documented learning disabilities, or other supports for academic success, your student's go-to office is the Academic Support and Access Center

How can I access and pay my student's tuition bill?

AU Central is the one-stop student services center, which brings together services related to accounts, registration and veterans services. You may also reach out directly to relavent offices, such as Student Accounts (the central student billing resource) or Veteran Services

How can my student connect socially and get involved in student activities?

Start with the Center for Student Involvement, which is home to over 150 student clubs and organizations. 

How do I support my student's mental health and wellbeing?

AU is a community of care, with many interconnected units dedicated to supporting student wellbeing. Key offices to know about are the  Center for Well-Being Programs and Psychological Services and the Student Health Center.

What if my student needs to take a semester off for medical concerns?

Your student should first consult with their Academic Advisor. You can find out more about the criteria and process for requesting a temporary medical leave of absence.

How do I find out about key dates on the academic calendar?

Please review the Academic Calendar to identify important dates.

I have more questions, but am not sure where to call or who to ask!

The Parent and Family Engagement team is here to help! If you need assistance navigating AU's many offices, please reach out to