We are no longer accepting EcoRep applications for the '22-'23 school year. Please check back next year for our updates on our next application cycle.
Are you passionate about protecting the environment? Looking to gain experience related to sustainability? Want to help make a difference right now? Become an EcoRep with American University's Office of Sustainability!
EcoReps are energetic, passionate undergraduate students who volunteer approximately two (2) hours of their time each week to promote sustainability and inspire personal behavior change among students, faculty, and staff.
The EcoRep Program provides students with opportunities to gain leadership experience and outreach skills while engaging with the AU community. EcoReps assist with activities that include:
- Staffing in-person outreach events to educate students about sustainability and promote the EcoPledge Program.
- Promoting recycling and compost on campus and assisting with monitoring bins for contamination.
- Distributing sustainability information through social media and other channels.
- Assisting with waste sorting in the Terrace Dining Room and during campus events.
As an EcoRep, you will recieve:
- Relevant experience that can be included on resumes and LinkedIn profiles.
- Opportunities to build relationships with other EcoReps and Office of Sustainability staff.
- Training in sustainability topics such as zero waste, carbon neutrality, and energy efficiency, as well as strategies for engaging peers effectively.
- Professional development and learning opportunities throughout the academic year.
- An Office of Sustainability t-shirt.