Green Office Resources
American University is proud to be a national leader in sustainability. By creating a culture of sustainability in the workplace, you and your coworkers can help American University strive toward its sustainability goals while encouraging the community to make positive lifestyle changes.
- Hang signs around your office to remind staff of your sustainability commitments.
- Sign up for the monthly AU Sustainability Newsletter and distribute it to your entire office.
- AU Sustainability Goals: Learn about AU’s goals for zero waste and other initiatives on campus.
100% of AU’s electricity comes from a renewable source. However, we still have a goal to reduce electricity use to further limit our impact on the planet. By making small changes in your office, such as turning off lights, unplugging your devices, or purchasing energy saving devices, you can be more green.
- American University Green Buildings: Ever wonder where the energy that powers your building comes from? Read about American University’s Green Buildings.
Holiday Energy Shut Down Checklist: Participate in the Holiday Energy Shut Down over winter break to conserve energy while you're away from the office.
- Worksheet: Calculate your office energy use to raise awareness about how much you are using and how much you can reduce.
- ENERGY STAR List of Certified Products: Purchase ENERGY STAR certified products for your office to reduce the amount of energy that your office uses.
It is important to practice environmental sustainability, but we also should prioritize personal sustainability. Several small and easy changes can make a large difference in the health and wellbeing of your office.
Food production requires energy and resources. 40% of food that is produced in the United States is wasted. To minimize the impact of food production, focus on purchasing sustainably grown foods and only buying foods you know you will eat.
- Sustainable Dining: Minimizing waste, sourcing responsibly, and conserving energy are just some of the ways that American University incorporates sustainability into the dining experience.
AU is committed to eliminating single-use plastics. Learn how to reduce plastic use in your office by exploring the links below.
- For plastic reduction resources visit the Post-Landfill Action Network (PLAN) website
Sustainable purchasing is an important matter for all businesses. Actions such as purchasing office supplies in bulk and only buying sustainable appliances can help save money and reduce waste, thus helping the environment and saving money. Sustainable purchases are made of reusable, recycled, or low-impact materials and come from socially responsible businesses.
- Read about American University’s sustainable purchasing guidelines.
- Wondering if sustainable purchasing will work for you? Read about the library’s decision to purchase 100% recycled paper.
- To further understand sustainable purchasing at AU, read about the University’s sustainable purchasing policy.
The way you and your coworkers get to and from work can impact the amount of carbon released into the atmosphere. By reducing the amount of single-occupancy vehicles, you can greatly reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Instead of driving to work on your own, consider trying out D.C.’s public transportation options, biking, or carpooling.
Your office plays a key role in helping American University achieve Zero Waste. Learn about zero waste strategies, such as how to host a green event and how to sort waste.
- Read about AU’s zero waste goals.
- Understand how to sort your waste.
- Hang signs above your trash, recycling, and compost bins to assist with proper waste sorting.
- Not sure what to do with your old electronics once you are finished with them? E-waste drives are held annually on Campus Beautification Day.
- Make your event green by adhering to the Green Event Guidelines. Start by eliminating bottles water and balloons!
- Need a bin? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.