You are here: Transfer Merit Awards for International Students

Transfer Merit Awards for International Students

PTK Honors transfer students from U.S. community colleges may be considered for partial merit scholarships. 

Eligibility: Transfer applicants who are members of the Phi Theta Kappa (PTK) Honor Society. Students must identify themselves as PTK members on the admissions application and provide a PTK advisor letter of recommendation. If admitted, your verified PTK membership guarantees a $10,000 scholarship.

Applying for a Student Visa

If accepted to American University, students will need immigration documents to present at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate for the application for an F-1 or J-1 student visa. Study on an F-1 student visa requires an I-20 form, which is issued by AU. Study on a J-1 student visa requires a DS-2019 form, which is issued by the student's financial sponsor. If the sponsor does not issue the DS-2019, AU will issue it.

All students must be able to demonstrate financial ability to pay for at least one year of academic and living expenses before being issued an I-20 or DS-2019.

Transfer In Form: If you are currently studying in the United States on an F or J visa and decide to attend AU, you will be required to submit the Immigration and Transfer-In Form before your AU I-20 or DS-2019 can be issued.

Please visit ISSS for the AU Cost Guide, sample bank letters, the AU CFIS form, and the Immigration and Transfer-In form.

All financial documents must be dated within the past three months to be considered valid.