- AU undergraduate students are invited to apply for The Dr. Dorothy and Victor Gondos, Jr. Award. This Award is given for a paper on some phase of the History of Administration of Archives or of American History, the contest is open to all AU students and to any professional archivist at the National Archives. This award was made possible through the generosity of AU Professor Dorothy and Victor Gondos, Jr.
- The Janet Oppenheim History Prize is awarded annually to the history undergraduate or graduate student submitting the most outstanding history paper. In some years, the department may offer more than one prize. This prize was established in memory of AU History Professor Janet Oppenheim.
- The Dorothy Gondos-Beers Scholarship is awarded annually to an outstanding undergraduate student in the Department of History who may use the funds to meet the costs associated with attendance at the University. This scholarship was made possible through the generosity of AU History Professor Dorothy and Victor Gondos, Jr.
- The Valerie French and Robert Beisner History Education Fund is used to provide assistance to history students who are pursuing research opportunities, seminars, student travel, and other items associated with students completing their dissertations. Every spring, the recipient will be chosen following History day. This Award is funded through the Valerie French and Robert Beisner History Education Fund endowed by former chair of the History Department, Valerie French.
- Conference Support is available through the History Department for undergraduate students. Those undergraduates receiving funding from American University for travel to present a paper at a conference may also apply to the Department for additional funds. Submit your paper proposal, notice of its acceptance, notice of your AU support, and a projected budget to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "UG application for conference travel."
The Richard and Carol Breitman Endowed Scholarship, is awarded to a graduate student, who is pursuing a PhD, preferably in European history, and performing outstandingly in their studies. The purpose of this Fund is to provide financial support to an AU history graduate student. This scholarship may be renewed so long as the student remains in good standing and is enrolled full-time. Students are nominated by their faculty advisor.
This scholarship was made possible through the generosity of Carl and Margaret Anton, and named in honor of AU History Professor Richard and Carol Breitman.
The Roger Brown Dissertation Completion Endowment provides fellowship support to advanced history doctoral students who have completed, or who are in the final stages of completing, their dissertation and who are preparing for academic careers. Students are nominated by their faculty advisor.
This scholarship is made possible through the continuing generosity of AU History Professor Roger Brown.
The Patrick Clendenen Dissertation Fellowship, is awarded every spring to a history graduate student to provide support during the upcoming final dissertation writing year.
This fellowship was established generously by Mary E. Graydon, in honor of Patrick A. Clendenen.
- AU History Graduate Students are invited to apply for the
Dorothy and Victor Gondos, Jr. Award. This Award is given for a paper on some phase of the History of Administration of Archives or of American History, the contest is open to all AU students and to any professional archivist at the National Archives.
This Award is made possible through the generosity of AU History Professor Dorothy and Victor Gondos, Jr.
The Robert Griffith Education Fund for Public History provides funding to support the study of public history at the University.
This fund is provided through the generosity of the Robert Griffith History Education Fund For Public History, named in honor of AU History Professor, and former Department Chair, Robert Griffith.
CAS Research/Conference Presentation Support and History Top-Off Research Support are awarded annually to graduate students to support research travel and conference research presentations. The Department of History reviews the application after the CAS Dean's Office and may award additional funding. Students seeking CAS Research Support should create a budget of trip expenses and detail proposed research. Students seeking CAS Conference Support should provide a budget of trip expenses and conference presentation proof. Please contact
email@example.com for information on submission procedures.