The Master of Arts in Literature, Culture, and Technology will teach you how the deep study of literature, culture, and ideas interfaces with the increasingly digital professional world. You will develop the intellectual, emotional, technical, and social aptitudes necessary in the twenty-first century workplace in seminars that emphasize the careful analysis of texts and theories. You will graduate with a personalized portfolio and a command of tools and methods drawn from the fields of literary studies, media and cultural studies, writing studies, computer science, data science, and game design.
DC as a Tech Hub
The DC area is a growing tech hub and our students will be in the perfect location to apply for jobs in gaming, tech firms, and the federal government. As a student in our program, you will have access to a wealth of educational resources that go beyond AU’s campus, from area museums to nationally recognized newspapers and magazines that are invested in looking closely at the connection between the humanities and technology.
Even before Amazon opens its HQ2 in Arlington, the Washington DC area has a higher than average ratio of unfilled tech jobs to qualified workers. The area is home to many federal research and development initiatives. Washington is among the top cities for digital inclusivity with women comprising more than 30% of local the tech workforce. Bethesda Softworks is a major game studio in the Maryland suburbs. Tech firms such as Deloitte and AIR and learning platforms such as Everfi and LearnZillion need researchers and individuals who can analyze a wide breadth of information to provide consultant solutions.
What Makes Us Unique
Our program integrates conceptual approaches to the study of culture with practical skills in digital technology. Unlike the digital humanities, we bring the humanities to bear on the tech industry, both theoretically and professionally, in addition to incorporating technology into liberal arts education. To learn more about the MA in Literature, Culture, and Technology, take a look at the conversation between the two founders of the program, Deborah Payne and David Pike.
What sets our program apart:
- Our program takes only 15 months to complete with full-time study. Part-time enrollment is also available.
- We offer specialized tracks in interdisciplinary approaches to literature, culture, and writing; data and computer science; or game design.
- Students pursuing a technology track can obtain a specialized certificate along with their MA degree.
- Students pursuing the interdisciplinary track can specialize in literature, cinema, transcultural studies, writing, or writing pedagogy.
- Our innovative core curriculum offers all students a foundation in critical thinking and the methods of humanistic inquiry, as well as offering practical, hands-on skills in digital technologies.
- We offer online MA courses every summer.
- Through collaborative projects with AU faculty and professional internships, you will have access to many cultural institutions and professional opportunities in the Washington, DC, area, one of the nation’s fastest-growing technology hubs.
Learn from Our Cutting-Edge Faculty
At AU, you will have the opportunity to work closely with our nationally and internationally recognized faculty. You will learn from expert scholars in Literature, Computer Science, and Game Design who are innovative researchers and active practitioners in their fields, as well as being dedicated mentors and teachers. Our professors’ diverse interests and areas of expertise will allow you to explore numerous research options during the MA program.
Three Tracks for Developing Expertise
The MA in Literature, Culture, and Technology prepares you for today’s world with superb writing skills, the ability to extrapolate big ideas, an aptitude for close reading, the exercise of emotional intelligence, and a commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion. Students supplement foundation seminars with practical courses from one of three tracks:
- Data and computer science(students pursuing a technology track can obtain a specialized certificate along with their MA)
- Game development
- Literary studies (literature, cinema, transcultural studies, writing, and writing pedagogy)
An interdisciplinary professional portfolio or academic project demonstrating your skills completes your degree.
Full-time students complete the 30-credit program in 15 months, with the option of summer courses online. See MA Admissions & Degree Requirements.
Please send me information about AU's Master of Arts in Literature
Our enrollment system is not available at the moment, please try again.