University Campus Mail should be in "campus" envelopes and not white or letterhead envelopes. Campus mail should be bundled separately from all outbound mail. It is picked up in the morning run and delivered in the afternoon run. Afternoon pickup is delivered in the following morning. The campus address should include the Name of the Addressee , Department Name , and Campus Zip Code . Street address and building names or room numbers are not necessary (however, they are necessary for outside mail from non-AU senders.
Mail Distrubution Standards and Process
Delivered same day if received by 12pm
- USPS overnight Express Mail
Delivered within 24 hours - After receipt in the mail center
- Campus Mail
- First Class letters
- First Class flats
- Accountable Mail (certified, insured, registered)
Delivered within Three Business Days - After receipt in the mail center
- Second Class Publications
- Third Class Standard Mail (business bulk mail)
OUtbound Mail Standards and Process
Outgoing mail is any mail presented by the departments to be metered for postage and deposited into the United States Postal Service system. All mail presented to Mail Services should be typed or computer generated. Handwritten addressing should be avoided at all times . Handwritten mail costs the most to process and results in the slowest delivery time.
The university requirements for proper preparation of outgoing mail are as follows:
- AU postage meter charge card(s) MUST accompany all mail deposited for metering. (Metered Mail Charge Card). One signed card per mailing. Postage charge cards received in Mail Services not completed or mail received with no postage card attached will be returned to the department. Postage charge card information includes: department charge code (budget code), department name, signature, and telephone number.
- All letter mail presented to Mail Services must face the same direction and be sealed or flapped. Flat mail larger than #10 envelope that is presented to Mail Services must face the same direction and be sealed.
- Pre-stamped and Business Reply mail must be banded together, but separate from mail to be metered.
- Mail that requires special services such as Return Receipt Requested must be accompanied by a fully completed form. (See Special Services)
- Foreign Mail, including Canada and Mexico, must be sealed and banded separately.
- Mail not properly addressed (see sample format for incoming and outgoing mail) will be returned to the departments. Any returned mail that requires additional postage will be charged to the departments.
- All large or bulk mailings should be coordinated in advance with Mail Services. Call ext 2249 before materials are printed. Mail Services can help in the design to make sure all USPS guidelines are met.
Bulk Permit Mail Account
- All requests to use the Bulk Mail Account must has a Letter of Authorization (LOA). Contact
email@example.com for LOA.
- All requests over $3,000 must be 5-7 Business days in advance.
Outbound Mail Standards (OMS)
- All mail correspondence must be packaged in an AU businesslike manner.
- All letter mail and packaging must have an AU (logo) return address at the top left side of the mailing piece.
Mail Run Schedule
Monday - Friday
- First Mail Run: 10:30 a.m.
- Second Mail Run: 2:30 p.m.
Saturdays, Sundays, University Holidays
- No mail runs on Saturdays, Sundays, or any University holidays
In-bound Mail for Off Campus Sites
If you are receiving mail from USPS:
All in-bound USPS mail for the main campus and Satellites Departments must be addressed to American University, 4400 Massachusetts Ave., NW 20016-XXXX.
If you are receiving mail from a Courier:
If you are located at a satellite/ off main campus address and are having something delivered to you by a courier (FedEx, UPS or DHL) you must provide your physical address (including room or suite number).
Sample Format Address
For Faculty and Staff
Attn: Mr. John Doe
4400Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-8xxx
Your Residence Hall #123
4400 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20016-81xx