You are here: American University Finance Risk Management Automobile Liability

Automobile Liability


American University provides coverage for comprehensive (non-collision damage or theft of the insured vehicle) and collision damage to a university-owned, leased, or rented vehicle is insured under a university-owned automobile policy. The university policy also provides coverage for personal injury, uninsured and underinsured motorist protection as well. Automobile liability coverage, which provides protection from claims arising from injuries or damage to other people or property, is written without a deductible.

AU’s vehicle policy applies to any employee, officer, or agent of American University, provided he or she is driving a university-owned, leased, or rented vehicle and is acting within the line and scope of his/her authority for AU at the time of the accident or incident.

If a vehicle needs to be rented to conduct university business, appropriate departmental authorization must be obtained. It is preferable to rent the vehicle in American University’s name, with the employee’s name following as the designated driver, and paid for with an AU corporate credit card if possible. The collision damage waiver and accident insurance offered by the rental company should be declined. Please review the Controller's Office Travel Policy for all AU employees.

General Procedures for Automobile Claims

  • Employees who drive personal autos on university business are eligible for a mileage allowance, but are not covered under the university’s automobile policy. An employee’s personal automobile is covered on a primary basis under his/her own personal auto insurance.

  • Each university-owned or leased vehicle should contain a Vehicle Accident Report kit, which contains advisory procedures to follow in the event of an accident. 

  • When an automobile accident occurs, whether on or off campus, report the accident to University Police. University Police will complete a report from the information you provide, and submit it to the Office of Finance and Treasurer.

  • All losses involving bodily injury must be telephoned to University Police immediately.

The Office of Risk Management will coordinate and handle all insured and uninsured losses with the university’s insurance carrier.